What operating system do you use? - Page 6 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
View Poll Results: What operating system do you use?
Windows XP 100 62.50%
Windows 2000 33 20.63%
Windows Me 21 13.13%
Windows 98 33 20.63%
Windows 95 3 1.88%
Linux 22 13.75%
Unix 2 1.25%
Mac 6 3.75%
Windows NT4 3 1.88%
Other 2 1.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2002, 05:48 PM   #51 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to Angus_McFear

haha.. yeah.. most people say that.. actually I am low on the scale compared to a few fellow team mates..
But I like to be able to get familiar with different OS's and, well, they all are crunching something.. our motto is "a clock cycle is a terrible thing to waste"

Old 07-26-2002, 01:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
the flaming hermit
Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

I dual boot XP with Linux... no doubt about it - XP is by far the best OS on the market at the moment...

Old 08-18-2002, 06:37 AM   #53 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I primarily use Windows XP, but it was hard to get me to use it as I did not wanna let go of my Windows 2000 at all... *shrug*

On another hand.. I can not believe I saw people admit they use the pile-o-rubble Windows ME
Thankfully I never had to use it, but my friend did and man I know where the phrase "Blue Screen of Death" came from (A Windows ME user)...
Old 08-19-2002, 10:28 AM   #54 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Max Paws

Well, I've used everything from DOS (pre-windows), Win2.x, 3.1, 95, NT3, NT4, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP. For my money, XP is the absolute best! That being said, I've had a lot of "lock up" issues lately, but have finally identified Norton Personal Firewall 2000 v2.5 as the culprit.

I must say that I still like Win 2k for it's stability, and I really never had any issues with ME like so many people seem to have had! I really liked that one, until the switch to XP, that is...

ps. Nice forum here!
Old 08-31-2002, 08:11 AM   #55 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Still Windows 98

Originally posted by DMo224
What are the reasons that you think XP is better than 98? If it's that much better, maybe it's now time for me to upgrade.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
Newb Techie

W98 was extremely unstable on my computer, thanks to Microsoft. I upgraded to W2k at the recommendation of a friend, and finally to XP, which is much faster, and stable.

I don't know how W98 is on your computer, but I've heard that it is unstable on most computers. My computer crashed many times during the day.

My friend doesn't like Bill Gates. He says he is selling basically beta operating systems, and making his $ off this kind of marketing.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:55 AM   #57 (permalink)
Newb Techie

XP Pro for sure. I upgraded from Win 98 about 7 months ago and haven't looked back. Stability is triffic - If I can't crash or freeze it, it's got to be good :-)
Old 10-05-2002, 02:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I defently have to go with XP Pro
I use 98, Me, And Xp Pro and the only reason i havent upgrade is because xp is so big and it would slow down the allready slow comps.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via ICQ to SePhO_zO Send a message via AIM to SePhO_zO Send a message via Yahoo to SePhO_zO

I'm running on Win 98SE on my PII 266 MHz/64 MB RAM right now, but when I upgrade to a newer computer (hopefully soon), I plan on installing XP Pro, and throw in dual boot with Linux.

I'm familiar with DOS, 3.1, 95, 98, 2K, ME and XP Home.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:57 PM   #60 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I use XP and 98SE, XP on my personal computer, 98SE on ym web browsing comp. If I included all my collective desktops at school, I might be able to check all options on the list

Personall I think XP is better for the following reasons:

1. NT core-XP runs faster and more stable because of the highly secure NT core, which prevents such pains in the *** as blue-screens-o-death, system freezes, and entire crashes.

2. Sweet Style-I am a desktop modification nut, so the visual styles are definitly a plus for me The Windows Skinning Engine was completely rewritten, making windows that much purtier

3. Speed-XP takes advantage of the raw power in most newer processers, making apps run faster, and system performnce jump.

Just my personal thoughts

Closed Thread