What is a OEM Preinstallation kit (OPK)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I recently bought an installation disk for Vista home basic from Newegg, or thought I did. I received a package and on the outside it says this:

If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system, it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation kit (OPK)

I am not sure what this means. Is the OEM Preinstallation kit something different from the installation disk? I am used to having one installation disk and thats all, but this sounds like I have to use something else to help the installation disk.

Can you give me a link to the item you bought so i can get full clarification of what was purchased.

I recently bought an installation disk for Vista home basic from Newegg, or thought I did. I received a package and on the outside it says this:

If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system, it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation kit (OPK)

I am not sure what this means. Is the OEM Preinstallation kit something different from the installation disk? I am used to having one installation disk and thats all, but this sounds like I have to use something else to help the installation disk.

A OEM preinstall kit is for when you build system to sell as retail and you need to configure the OS an install drivers the OEM logo etc, this disk is normaly shipped when a company orders 5 or more OEM copys and it's in a paper CD wallet normaly.

As mak said post us a link to what you bought and we will take a look, it might just be some wording that is misplaced or confusing.

That can be used for a install. That is a OEM disc. But it is a installer disc. That information is mainly for OEM's so they include their driver pack for the PC's in question.

There will be no problem using that for a install of Vista on any machine.

Sorry to resurrect kind of an old thread... but I'm having a bit of a problem.

I bought this disk:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

It says the same thing on the package as the original poster.

I built my computer, put everything together, and now when I start it up I get the following error message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

So I put i the disk, press enter, nothing happens... just a second or two delay and then the same message.

Could this have to do with not having the OPK??

Help!!

Do you have your system set to boot from CD First? If not you will get that error cause there is no Operating System installed.

Yes, I have it set to boot from CD drive first.

I put the disk in, it makes that whirring sound like it's trying to read it, then goes right back to the error message again.

I also tried another disk I have here int he house and it came up with an error for that one too.

Also, it should be noted that I took out the new HD and tried my old HD in there to see if that was the issue... no dice. I'm really completely at a loss here.

I successfully installed my OEM disk. My earlier problems were with some subtle hardware error in another computer (which I still haven't tracked down yet!)

My simplified understanding of oem now is that you just get little or no microsoft tech support, since you installed it on a new machine for sale, you are supposed to provide the tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom