What a light media player for windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I have like 300 gigs of music. I'm tired of wmp always crashing when playing music. itunes is worse. these were non issues on xp. What's a light media that works well on win 7?

I have like 300 gigs of music. I'm tired of wmp always crashing when playing music. itunes is worse. these were non issues on xp. What's a light media that works well on win 7?
XMPlay or Mplayer

XMPlay is skinnable, uses playlists, supports a lot of plugins (just put the plugin files in the same folder as XMPlay and it'll work), and uses hardly any resources compared to other media players (the download of XMPlay is only ~300KB, for example)

Mplayer is command-line, and useful if you just want to browse for a song or video and just play it.
The only thing is, Windows 7 by default doesn't keep Mplayer in the "Open With" list.
If you go to the registry and browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mplayer.exe and delete the NoOpenWith key, it fixes that.

Surprising no one mentioned VLC player, its a very good all around player for music and videos. I use it for everything and no crashes whatsoever. Give it a shot, plus its a very lite software.

I use mpc. Yet I don't see how it access my library from within itself. i don't like vlc. I'm going to try real players (Is is virus prone like it used to be?) and winamp. do mplayer show the music library within itself?

Surprising no one mentioned VLC player, its a very good all around player for music and videos. I use it for everything and no crashes whatsoever. Give it a shot, plus its a very lite software.

+1

it even allows you to play DVDs in XP (I know that's not the question here, but it's still cool) without purchasing a DVD codec.

VLC does everything and does it well.

+1

it even allows you to play DVDs in XP (I know that's not the question here, but it's still cool) without purchasing a DVD codec.

VLC does everything and does it well.

including hijack everything. anything vlc can mpc can do it even better. mpc can't play image file though. I hate the look of that stupid little icon too. it's just a personal preference. i don't like. it also had issue of showing movie on both the computer monitor and hdtv screen the last time that I used it.

real player is looking promising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom