what is IKernal? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default what is IKernal?

when i look at the processes on my comp, i noticed about 8 various 'IKernal.exe' files running simultanoisly. iv never seen them before, and am just wondering if they are normal. cheers

Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

if it was iKernel.exe (note the spelling) then you were probably installing something at the time
is it still there after installation finished?

Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 02-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

i had been trying to unistall a few things through the add/remove software bit in controll panel, but the install sheild wizard kept hanging before i could unistall anything, and i had to end task it. it must have just hung around. is there any reason that my install sheild wizard would do this? i have tried to uninstall various applications, and install them (i was trying to update my graphics cards software when it first ahppened, so then tried to uninstall what was already there first, and it happened again). my comp is pretty messed up at the mo. cheers btw!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

yeah, sometimes when an install/uninstall prog hangs, it leaves behind misc processes
remove the processes manually before trying another install/uninstall

winblows doesn't like to install more than one thing at a time, so it will continue to hang until you remove those entries
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Actually, Ikernal is the installshield script engine. The application will run mutilple times, it's the MSI engine that will hang.
If you happen to have another install/uninstall hang, kill Ikernal not msiexec and it should either resume or terminate.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

installshield keeps hanging. when i try to end the ikernal.exe nothing happens. i click 'end process' in it multiple times but nothing happens. can i try anything else to make it work?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neowin.net

what programs are you attempting to uninstall? try safe mode, or reinstall windows installer
Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

never though of safemode actually i will give it ago, but think i might need to re-install windows. cheers for the help guys.

Closed Thread