What gets the job done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropdeaddustin

Solid State Member
A lot of my family and friends aren't very fluent with computers and I end up having to reformat a lot of them. I've realized that I am going to need some sort of list of programs that I can put on each computer that I reformat after a fresh install of Windows XP.

What programs (anti-virus, anti-malware, etc.) can I put on my family & friend's computers that combine efficiency with user-friendliness? Basically I want the programs to be able to be used by a person who isn't very fluent with computers and I want the programs to get the job done and provide the computer with some good security.

My list that I want you guys to revise, add, or remove from:

AntiVir
Ad-Aware
SpyBot
CCleaner
K-Lite Codec Pack (so they can watch any kind videos in their browser without complication later)
WinRAR
Foxit Reader (PDF Reader)
Office 2007

Firefox
AVG Anti-Virus (free edition)
Pidgin... if they use messenger services.

Edit: I, personally, would also run Universal UXTheme Patcher v2.1 on all of them.

Hmm... normally Micro$oft only allows their themes to be ran on a computer. If you right click on the desktop and click Properties > Appearance (tab), the top drop down box lists your options: Windows XP style and Windows Classic Style.

These themes are boring. The patcher modifies certain files to allow 3rd party themes. You can get some pretty cool stuff. Right now my XP looks like Vista.

Other software has allowed this already, such as StyleXP. However, these programs are bloatware and just slow down your computer, IMO. With the patcher, you don't need any third-party programs running in the background.

Also, you could add Spyware Blaster to the list. Prevents you from getting spyware and adware without running anything in the background. Just makes modifications to the registry and stuff that stop many types of spyware.

Firefox
AVG Anti-Virus (free edition)
Pidgin... if they use messenger services.

Edit: I, personally, would also run Universal UXTheme Patcher v2.1 on all of them.

Honestly the average PC user doesnt care about themes. I mean if they use it mainly for net and email then they wont care if they XP looks like Vista or OS X. they just want it to work. So running UXTheme patcher is pointless to the average user.

dopdf
spybot s/d
foxit
7-zip

I agree with these. AVG or Avast for AV. Spybot or Ad-Aware free for spyware protection. Other than that the basics are covered.

well just the basics right STE? your basics list too long too?

I have and use a ton of "junk" a lot of people could care less on ;)

not needing to go on the list...
I use Office 2k3/2k7
mess around with:
paint.net
scribus
gimp
blender
DVDFab HD Decrypter
media coder

Windows Media Encoder
Windows Photo Story -- <--- That actually might be a good addon for the basics too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom