What free software do you consider worthy of a master image for typical computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I work in a school district, which has a decent number of computers. As most districts, we're constantly re-imaging them. Since I got my hands on some new open source software which works great (Called FOG, linux based for the FOG server but primarily geared towards cloning Windows workstations), I've been imaging computers more and more to "reset" them instead of doing typical maintenance stuff, i.e. defrag, delete profiles, clear this, delete that, etc to get them back to how they were.

As a result, I've been setting up master images for each brand of computer we have. The thing is, I thought maybe there'd be more that would be viable for the images than I've included.

Typically my computers for the labs get the following:

Office 03
Office 07 converter
Flash 10
Reader 9
Quicktime
Java 6
IE7
Firefox
VLC

Is there any other software that would be a viable option to have as default on computers? I know there's programs like Audacity and whatnot, but typically labs aren't doing music editing.

Just figured I'd throw this question out there before I set up and finalize all of these images.

Note - These programs must be free.

Re: What free software do you consider worthy of a master image for typical computers

it really depends on whats being done.. id put on something like GIMP for image editing, you never know so i think Audacity would be something worth having on there. 7zip for compression? i have had to compress files into a zip before in a class for school. I like Foxit reader better then adobe reader, personal preference :p at school when i get bored i like to play with pivot ? something to think about..everyone gets bored and who doest wanna make stick animations ? :)

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Foxit Software - Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows
Pivot Stickfigure Animator Freeware download and review - create animated cartoons from SnapFiles
Download

Re: What free software do you consider worthy of a master image for typical computers

ImgBurn, VirtualCloneDrive, ieSpell, Adobe reader, k-lite codec, Frame work 1.1 through 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom