What formatting program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Fdisk isn't working, basically I need a program that completely erases everything on my hdd.

Anybody? I just need a program thats exactly like fdisk, but not at the same time.

Actually I tried killdisk and I am still on the comp that I used it on. Same hdd. I'll get you a link to the thread.

GDISK is norton's version of FDISK on steroids. it comes bundled with Ghost. if FDISK doesn't work that is telling you something is wrong wth IDE detection. maybe you forgot to re-connect the data IDE cable or your disk is dead or some other hardware error.

?????????....... use your HDD manu's utility floppy (download from your HDD manu's website) and do a llf (which will return the HDD to a virgin state........safely).

I have been to my hdd manufaturer's website and I cant find any utilities. Obviously everything is connected right because I am on that computer right now. Should I try GDISK?

a) What make is your HDD?
b) What OS are you using (and is it a branded pc..if so which)?
c) Are you using FDisk (from a 98/me floppy) or the utility found on an XP Cd (which is NOT FDisk at all)?
d) Be aware of hidden partitions etc. if wiping your HDD and only have recovery CD's!

Go ahead and use/do anything you want........there is no right and wrong (and no-one but you will lose any sleep if you balls things up.....).

a) Quantum Fireball
b) Windows 98, dell pc
c) Yes I am using Fdisk from the 98 bootdisk
d) I doubt there are hidden partitions.

Right now I can't use fdisk because it is recognizing my hdd.

Try here:

http://www.ameriwebs.net/groupworks/george/quantum.htm

If its a Dell it may well have a hidden partition.......ensure you have a full install cd and not just a restore disk(s).

I had (a few years back now '99) a Packard Bell (dont laugh) with 98se and a hiden partition and it was a royal pain to wipe the Fireball HDD...........only later did I find out that the partition trys to STOP you re-formatting.............

If you've got Nero or another burning app use its file browser to look at the HDD as it bypasses the OS.

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom