What Firewall program do you use? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHeadFL
Maybe I'm against the grain in this one, but I don't see a lot of point in software firewalls for computers connected behind NAT'ing routers, since NAT destroys the end-to-end connectivity in the first place. So long as you aren't set up as the DMZ host, you are protected from almost everything anyway, just because of the way the routing works out.

*shrug*
For most people you're right, but what if you get a worm within your network somehow? Software firewalls will stop anything bad happening.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 08-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to jaross

sygate parsonal firewall and a hard linksys firewall

G4 Powerbook

\"I have a blatant disregard for EULAs\"
Old 08-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

Quote:
Originally posted by m3trj
Software firewalls will stop anything bad happening.
HA, it'll stop legit traffic as well without proper config. I don't use firewalls as i can't stand to configure them.

I was using Sybase for a while but then it started causing random IRQL_Not_Equal_or_Less stop errors on boot.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by csamuels
HA, it'll stop legit traffic as well without proper config. I don't use firewalls as i can't stand to configure them.

I was using Sybase for a while but then it started causing random IRQL_Not_Equal_or_Less stop errors on boot.
I have never had to configure mine, and I have never had any problems with it stopping legitimate traffic. I've also never been hacked or anything.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 08-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheHeadFL

I've only ever been hacked once, when I was running FreeBSD back in like 1998. Good old WU_FTPD bug.

Never been hacked on a Windows OS.

Currently the only computers sitting inside my network belong to me, so I just don't run any software firewall at all. I don't even run a Virus Scan program because of how it gets in the way of the programming work I do frequently. I think Virus Scan programs have become kind of a joke anyway, being that 90% of the exploits lately have been based around buffer overflows which Virus Scanners generally can't do squat for.

Besides, I run a 64 bit OS that practically nothing runs on with any kind of privelege level that would allow something to insert itself into windows. I have a hard enough time installing legitimate software sometimes, lol.
Linux: P3 450Mhz, 386MB ram, Slackware 10.1 (Running mySQL/Apache)
Old 08-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well I just updated my ZA Pro and found that it has become another POS bloat-ware. That's gone and I'm just gonna stick with XP SP2's firewall. I've ran that thing through every conceivable firewall test and it passes with flying colors everytime. Small, unobtrusive and it just plain works without all the bloat.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I use my software firewall (zone alarm pro) main for the in house spying. like everytime windows tries to send something back to MS or yahoo just outright recording your activities or musicmatch update insisting on me trying MM 9 basic, when I happy with my 8.2 plus (I don't want to pay another 20.00 for a plus program when I have a plus program).

that said. if you already have a trojan, it can make outbound communications. windows firewall or your hardware firewall can't do anything about that
Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I am using Computer Associates ezArmor suite. The firewall is a version of ZoneAlarm Pro.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 08-09-2005, 01:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,119996,00.asp

Closed Thread