What does a wireless router do that a regular router doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consolemax_com

In Runtime
I purchased a wireless router thinking I needed it for my wireless card for my desktop I purchased the same day. I installed the wireless card without using the wireless router. So now my question is, if my card can find the high speed internet from my cable modem, what is the point of the wireless router?

Thanks!

If you dont have a router hooked up to your modem, then you are probably stealing someone elses bandwidth in your neighborhood that also has a wireless network

LOL

_IF_ your card can find the high speed internet, probably nothing with your current configuration. Thats IF your cable modem supports 802.11a/b/g wireless.

If you add another computer you might need the router if your isp won't give you 2(or more) ip addresses, or they want to charge extra.

Crysalis said:
If you dont have a router hooked up to your modem, then you are probably stealing someone elses bandwidth in your neighborhood that also has a wireless network

Good point thats probably what hes doing :)

consolemax_com said:
if my card can find the high speed internet from my cable modem, what is the point of the wireless router?

most likely your cable modem has wireless capability. does your modem have an antennae sticking out of it? could you list the model and make of your modem?

it is a very good possiblity that you have a wireless modem. they make those. j/k, the most logical deduction would be that you are sapping ethernet off someone else.

The modem could be directly connected to his PC via ethernet or USB that is providing the service. Just trying to throw all options out on the table besides theft..lol.

you guys are too quick to blame this guy for theft. I still maintain that there are such things as Wireless Cable Modem Gateways which in essence combine wireless G routers (or B) with a modem. this is one such product:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sbg900/

sbg900_bigview_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom