What do you think of Windows XP Media Center Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzaman

Beta member
I just moved and my computer got damaged. I think it's the hard drive but haven't verified and I can't find my old version of Windows XP. No matter since I want to hook up a media center at my new place but want to stay away from Vista.

Question: is the 2005 Windows XP Media Center Edition a standalone operating system or is it an upgrade/addition to an existing XP OS? If it's standalone, why is it much cheaper than XP OS? What do you think of this as a Media Center upstairs and possibly an XBox hooked up to the downstairs tv? Are there specific hardware I should have prior to loading XP MCE? I need to buy a new HD and upgrade RAM to 2GB. Anything else? Any other recommendations? I don't know much about hardware/software so I appreciate if you can over the basics.

Thanks!

Hello,

MCe is a stand alone OS. It is XP Pro with the Media Center options. It is only available via OEM distribution. So you might not even be able to buy it anymore since OEM sales stopped July 1, 2008.

There is no specific hardware to install it. It can hook up with a 360.

Cheers,
Mak

Mak - If I can still get the XP MCE, would you recommend it over Vista? My only need is for the Media Center piece but don't know if there are other benefits. I've just heard the negative backlash on Vista (crashes, slow for gaming, etc). I would use the computer for some gaming but I'm not hardcore.
Thanks for your reply!

I have been running vista home premium 32 bit (80 bucks) for around a year now in my media pc. It works great. Most of the people bagging on vista are just going by what they have heard, and have never even touched it.

Mak - If I can still get the XP MCE, would you recommend it over Vista? My only need is for the Media Center piece but don't know if there are other benefits. I've just heard the negative backlash on Vista (crashes, slow for gaming, etc). I would use the computer for some gaming but I'm not hardcore.
Thanks for your reply!
Hello,

I would not recommend it over Vista Home Premium. The fact is that Vista got a bad reputation for no reason. I have run it for a long time now, since it was a beta and i have not experienced half of the issues that these people claim.

I lost 2 FPS tops in all the games i play. I get only a few crashes and they are ALL my fault. Maybe a few of them were cause of the GFX drivers but they have gotten much better.

If you wish to believe the lies that is fine. But Vista is not as bad as people claim at all.

MCE isnt that bad. I run it myself. But i personally feel Vista HP is better.

Cheers,
Mak

I have been running vista home premium 32 bit (80 bucks) for around a year now in my media pc. It works great. Most of the people bagging on vista are just going by what they have heard, and have never even touched it.

Or they have a PC thats too crappy for it

Ok this may be a very basic question... I just went on Amazon to price software. Why are some Vista Home Premium 32 Bit selling for $100 and others for $300+? As a lower price for a "System Builder", is it cheaper because you don't get tech support? Are the software discs exactly the same?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom