What do you IT people use for software maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Jayce. You can reimage a system within a work environment faster than troubleshooting most moderate problems. Problem is in the private sector of people's homes they have files and programs they don't have the CD's for anymore so sometimes troubleshooting is the only way.

Oh I absolutely agree. It's just since the original poster referred to working in an IT department at his college it seemed like his situation was similar to mine where my method of cleaning up systems may be up his alley.

System roll back or system recovery is a good feature in Windows. I often use that.

For registry/overall cleaning I'm using CCleaner.
My antivirus software is McAfee total protection.
For spyware scanning I'm using Windows Defender.

Looking in the proces list, to see if there are any malicious processes is also on my to-do-list.

I work in IT support for a large public school district system.

I don't even bother with defragging, removing temp files, etc. We install a virus scanner that automatically runs on its own at a certain time of day/week. When it comes to maintenance or doing updates to the computer installs, I simply re-image all of the computers.

That's just the way I do it. We're spread extremely thin over a huge district, and there's always so much to do. Doing it this way is at least a way to update images + do maintenance in 1 shot.

It's true what they say. Majority of the time it's just easier to reinstall Windows than to fix it. I can image a lab in an hour's time. Imagine how much time I'd spend if I had to fix up each computer in an average sized computer lab.

This is my method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom