What do I do? Please dumb down the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. With windows 95, I'm not able to write either. I get a thing stating, that this version of MS scandisk will work only with the MS-DOS versions 5.0 and later. Setup found a compressed volume with you disk compression software or remove the disk-cache utility??

I just thought of this. I'm having an issue writing to the C: on 98. I can get my HD in the computer but when I try fdisk it shows that there are no disk drives found. I have tried on 3 computers. The only way I can get it to read is on the external case. So, it's not considered a c: is it?
It's E:
What should I do?

You lost me. Nothing should be compressed not the floppy not the CD. I never encountered a MS-DOS error.

What ever you think the letter is try that letter then then fdisk it and format it. "fdisk" "format e:" "format c:".

Sorry but this method never has given me any problems.

Yeah, I don't know. The compression part was on the win 95. The blue screen was win 98. If I use 2000 pro or xp, it gives me a blue screen stating that the bootable drive is inaccessable. I'm stumped.

The hard drive cannot be recognized in any laptop I can find. So, I'm forced to use an external case which seems to work good but it requires 3 usb ports. 2 for the external case and 1 for the external floppy.

When I go to partition it is asks me if I want to enable large format. I have tried yes and no on that. Still, the same deal

I'm done. I've tried everything I hope some other members will be able to help you but my reasources are exhausted. I'll try getting in touch with my old computer teacher from high school he was always knowlagable in OSs.

I definately appreciate all your help. I just talked to my IT guy at work and had a pretty good suggestion. When it comes to the part where I can pick between, custom, typical, portable, and space saver do the custom and install a few things as possible. Hopefully, I can get through the installation process and then go from there as far as installing hardware, programs, etc....
If that works, that will probably be for the better because I would just delete half that crap anyways. Let me know if you hear anything

But, once again, thanks again for all the help!!!

Thanks,
Justin

I got it!

I wanted to thank everyone for their help but especially Tyler1989!

For anyone that has this problem please see my threads.

What I did since I could not get past the "no fixed disks present" when I was connecting to numerous computers and I could not get 95, 98, 2000, or xp to load to it.

I took a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter and connected it directly to a desktop pc. I then just used the factory restore disk and it took care of everything! Now, you will be left with stuff on your computer that might not actually be needed so then you can simply use an OS and load that without a problem. I spoke with HP the night before via chat and they were stumped as well. So was my IT guy.
I hope this helps someone in the future!

Thanks again

I think something else is wrong here Bud! Windows is reaching a place where it is failing because either one of your plug and play deivces, mobo on-baord devices or peripheral devices is dead or dying. Pull your hard drvie. Find a friend who is willing to let you install your drive temporarily and attempt to install 98 on their puter. If the install is good you will need to isolate which of your puters components has "taken a dump".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom