What do I do? Please dumb down the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct. It was running Windows 2000 when I used killdisk

But, I tried loading the Windows 2000 upgrade disk and ran into the problem in the post above as well?

So what do I do? How do I get the Fat32 system on it? I formated the hard drive by going into that part in "my computer" and formating that drive.

Is there a seperate boot disk for a Fat32?

Tyler1989 said:
for get everything if you finally have a floppy and cd working do the following.

type boot from the 98 boot disk and when it loads type "fdisk" then choose option 3 I believe to deleat all your partitions. Reboot if nessesary then choose option 1 if I remember to creat a partition. Reboot if nessesary. Now when the boot disk loads this time just type "format c:/" or "format c:". When you are done formating your partition the hard part begins.

If you made it this far great. Now change to your CD directory. you can do with by typeing
"cd drive letter"
ex.) cd E:

Now when you get into the proper directory type "dir" it will give you a list of files you are looking for setup.exe. It may be in a folder called 98_SE if you are using a MSDN CD. If you found setup.exe type "setup.exe" or "cd setup.exe" if you think it is in a folder use the "cd folder_name" command. then type dir again and see if setup.exe is in that folder.

I'm sorry but I can't really explain DOS anybetter and if someone gives you another method just tell them you cannot boot from a CD becuase it was before interupt 19.

Will this work with Windows 2000 Pro Upgrade?
Do I need a floppy as well?

When I get to the partitioning part, how should I proceed?

sj022698 said:
Ok. I am getting to the point in which I can type "dir" and then I get a directory of the E:
ADD_ONS <dir>
AUTORUN INF
CDSAMPLE <dir>
DRIVERS <dir>
README txt
SETUP exe
TOOLS <dir>
WIN98 <dir>

3 Files
5 Dir

when you enter the setup.exe and all that I go to a screen that says "scanning system registry... Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to creat an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows.

You can try "dir" or "setup.exe" over and over but it won't go past the above command.

Please help!

Before we go on I want to clear some stuff I am telling you how to install 95 or 98 when this is on you can easilly upgrade to 2000. So make sure you are only using the disk I told you about and a Win95 Cd. Or a Win98 CD.
===================================================

One step at a time I have to sleep. Yeah it's a pain and this problem happened to me. And no this is only for a Fat32 partition don't worry though just follow the instrutions and take it one step at a time. When we get 95 or 98 installed we can easailly perform an upgrade to Win2K!

Good that you got the disk working. Ok you skipped a step remember.

Right after the program loads type "fdisk"

Then choose option three to deleat your partition, in the end you want to deleat everything when this is done you want to choose option 1 to make a partition. When you make your partition reboot.

Now that the disk program is loaded again type "format c:" or "format c:/" Wait for it to reach 100% and say finished. Now my may search in the cd using the "cd" and "dir" commands.

Find and luanch the setup.exe like you did last time. This time it will not freeze.

Goodluck.

I got 98 to load, however towards the end after it loads the drivers for plug and play hardware the screen turns blue and says it cannot write to the c:/ disk drive

Any suggestions?

Well your HD is fine if you set it up like I said using all your data in the partition. And since it stops at plug and play I'm guessing it is your CD....

This stinks we are so close to solving this.

Do you have a 95 or 2K cd?

I have 95, 98 upgrade, and 2000 pro upgrade disk. When I create the partition, I use the whole amount avail, correct?

On the 95 disk. I can't get it to boot. It just says invalid media, please remove and press any key to restart. I have 4 boot disks for it. 95a and 95b two of each from 2 seperate sites.

Windows 98 upgrade. I get it all the way through setting up the hardware plug and play, but at the end of that, it says, "can not write to the c: drive" and I don't have anywhere to go from there.

Windows 2000 Pro Ugrade.
I get through setting up all the files and formatting it into NTFS but when it automatically reboots it says to take the floppy out which I do and when it reboots, I don't boot from cd because it just takes you through the same thing. Now, when I don't hit a button I end up getting a bright blue screen saying "boot device inaccessable" and then it has stuff like if this is the first time you've seen this message restart, if not, check your hard drive for viruses. I was completely reformatted.

Any suggestions?

I suspect the 98 disc is scratched. And you cannot use a 2000 disk using the floppy I gave you.

I ONLY WANT YOU TO USE THE FLOPPY I GAVE YOU

That said boot from the floppy I gave you deleat your partition again. Then recreat the partition using all your space. Formate the C: drive. Then use the "cd" and "dir" to find the "setup.exe" on the 95 disc. You can use the same instructions I gave you before.

boot from the 98 boot disk and when it loads type "fdisk" then choose option 3 I believe to deleat all your partitions. Reboot if nessesary then choose option 1 if I remember to creat a partition. Reboot if nessesary. Now when the boot disk loads this time just type "format c:/" or "format c:". When you are done formating your partition the hard part begins.

It doesn't matter you are using a 98 disc to install 95 I've done it hundreds of times. When you install Win95 it is just an easy click of the mouse to upgrade to 2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom