What do I do? Please dumb down the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj022698

Baseband Member
I am using an official 98 boot disk with the 98 cd in the cd drive.

I got to a point where it gives and E: prompt and says

says "cannot create a temporary directory"
If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to creast an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows"

What do I do?

for get everything if you finally have a floppy and cd working do the following.

type boot from the 98 boot disk and when it loads type "fdisk" then choose option 3 I believe to deleat all your partitions. Reboot if nessesary then choose option 1 if I remember to creat a partition. Reboot if nessesary. Now when the boot disk loads this time just type "format c:/" or "format c:". When you are done formating your partition the hard part begins.

If you made it this far great. Now change to your CD directory. you can do with by typeing
"cd drive letter"
ex.) cd E:

Now when you get into the proper directory type "dir" it will give you a list of files you are looking for setup.exe. It may be in a folder called 98_SE if you are using a MSDN CD. If you found setup.exe type "setup.exe" or "cd setup.exe" if you think it is in a folder use the "cd folder_name" command. then type dir again and see if setup.exe is in that folder.

I'm sorry but I can't really explain DOS anybetter and if someone gives you another method just tell them you cannot boot from a CD becuase it was before interupt 19.

Ok. having a problem now.

Please please please. Dumb it down as much as possible.
When I use the official disk it goes throught jprocess of driver for dos and etc.... It brings me to a screen.

1- freinstall win without formating the hd
2-format the hard drive first, then install win 98
3- quit win 98 setup

Then I get important notes. make sure 98 is in drive, #2 install win 98 in c:\windows directory, not c:\windows.000 directory, press any key

It says "setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system" press enter to continue.

Once again. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive you will need to creat an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows. Then I get an E:\>

I have tried all the buttons when booting to try to look at the system or boot stuff??? What do you think. I'm sure it's just me not doing it correctly but...

Ok so you are using a different floppy than I thought go to school or some computer and download this and have a blank floppy handy to make your own bootdisk I need you to use this disk to do what I ask.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~huey/Downloads/boot98se.exe

for get everything if you finally have a floppy and cd working do the following.

type boot from the 98 boot disk and when it loads type "fdisk" then choose option 3 I believe to deleat all your partitions. Reboot if nessesary then choose option 1 if I remember to creat a partition. Reboot if nessesary. Now when the boot disk loads this time just type "format c:/" or "format c:". When you are done formating your partition the hard part begins.

If you made it this far great. Now change to your CD directory. you can do with by typeing
"cd drive letter"
ex.) cd E:

Now when you get into the proper directory type "dir" it will give you a list of files you are looking for setup.exe. It may be in a folder called 98_SE if you are using a MSDN CD. If you found setup.exe type "setup.exe" or "cd setup.exe" if you think it is in a folder use the "cd folder_name" command. then type dir again and see if setup.exe is in that folder.

I'm sorry but I can't really explain DOS anybetter and if someone gives you another method just tell them you cannot boot from a CD becuase it was before interupt 19.

I'm going to make this boot disk but I think I might have messed you up.

I have a Win 98 Upgrade CD
I also have a windows 95 but I can't figure out if it's a b or not. I've tried both bootable disks and neither work. That's why I'm trying the 98 Upgrade?
I am going to give your sugg. a shot though. I just don't think I gave you enough info by not letting you know it is the Upgrade disk

Doesn't matter if you use 95 just follow my steps carefully and if you have questions ask. I'm only using that disc for command line funtions nothing more.

I have tried this

The disk you linked me to with 98 Upgrade
The disk you linked me to with win 95
Win 95 with the 95 bootable A from bootdisk.com
Win 95 with the 95 bootable b from bootdisk.com

I have checked to make sure I format the floppy and then save to the disk and then that it is there before I swap out the Hard Drive. I get an error message stating "remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart. Boothing from remeovable media" every time. I have tried removing, removing cd, entering key, trying to get a prompt, etc.... I must be crazy!

Ok. I am getting to the point in which I can type "dir" and then I get a directory of the E:
ADD_ONS <dir>
AUTORUN INF
CDSAMPLE <dir>
DRIVERS <dir>
README txt
SETUP exe
TOOLS <dir>
WIN98 <dir>

3 Files
5 Dir

when you enter the setup.exe and all that I go to a screen that says "scanning system registry... Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to creat an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows.

You can try "dir" or "setup.exe" over and over but it won't go past the above command.

Please help!

It looks like you didn't completly format the hard drive properly...
you probably were using win2k or win xp, because of that it probably had the NTFS on it.

Windows 95 or 98 only supports the FAT file system, and doesn't use NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom