what is difference between 32 and 64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
I know there are a ton of differences, but I mean like :

why does 32 detect less then 4gbs of RAM?
what is the max it will recognize?
will most games run on 64 bit?
how different does 64bit look then 32??

From a guess it seems like 64 bit would be more server friendly. I'm going to be buying 4 gbs of ram for my build but I don't know if I should go with 64 bit just to pick up like 512mb of RAM :|

1. It recognizes less than 4GB cause that i sthe limit fo the kernel.
2. The max it will recognize is 3.5GB
3. Check the games website. They will tell you more than we will.
4. Vista 64 Bit is exactly like Vista 32 Bit but with the coding for 64 Bit.

All this onfo can be found via the search and google.

Getting 4GB of RAM and running 32 Bit will be only a hassle. You might not even get your OS installed. Use the search function to find threads relating to this as well.

1. It recognizes less than 4GB cause that i sthe limit fo the kernel.
2. The max it will recognize is 3.5GB
3. Check the games website. They will tell you more than we will.
4. Vista 64 Bit is exactly like Vista 32 Bit but with the coding for 64 Bit.

All this onfo can be found via the search and google.

Getting 4GB of RAM and running 32 Bit will be only a hassle. You might not even get your OS installed. Use the search function to find threads relating to this as well.

Wow ..i knew it wouldn't see all of it but i never knew it would cause issues with the OS..that's weird.

what is the max you can use without getting this "hassle"

3GB is the max without any hassle. At least from my experience.

As stated in my first post all that info can be found in those links. I can not really answer it as it is a opinion question. There are pro and cons for each. You have to decide what is right for you. I can not tell you.

As stated in my first post all that info can be found in those links. I can not really answer it as it is a opinion question. There are pro and cons for each. You have to decide what is right for you. I can not tell you.

well thanks a lot, you've been a great help :D

3GB is the max without any hassle. At least from my experience.

Ummmmm, regardless of it being Windows or not, a 32-bit OS is a 32-bit OS. I thought it can only address up to 3.2 or something, at best. Theirs nothing anyone can do about it because that's how 32-bit os's are? So how is it a "hassle"? I put it 4GB when I was running Vista 32-bit months back and it recognized a bit above 3GB by itself?

Also, the way a 64-bit operating system works on a cpu that supports 64-bit (They've been around a lot longer then most people think), can be MUCH more efficient in how fast it can process data if it you use the write software. Theirs a lot more to it then me or anyone on here has talked about, google if it you want to find out more.

Yes Otis you are right. It can only recognize up to 3.5GB as i have said in post number 2. It was the 2nd point i made in that post. This is a limit of the 32 Bit kernel that was created back in the Windows 3.1 days and still used by Windows today. The Linux Kernel while different is the same way. Same with OS X since that is jsut a closed source version of BSD.

Having 4GB installed can cause issues. Read thru plenty of the topics here. You start to get random errors for memory access and such things. You almost postively can not install XP or Vista with 5GB upon boot as it gives you problems and errors. I have seen this on about 15 machines in the past month already. Adding to a system that already has 2GB and putting in 2GB might not cause you issues and you system might be fine. But the most common results are trouble.

Yes 64 Bit can be more efficient. But then again so can a quad core running 32 bit and a SMP application. That is a opinion that 64 Bit is more efficient since given the right application and a quad core even 32 bIt Windows XP can out run 64 Bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom