What Brand of XP Computer for under 500 Bucks??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gearjam

Solid State Member
I need a new Pc...desk top...not for games...just internet research and pictures ...plus lite office work.

What brand would you sugest...and what Gb and hard drive?

Thanks

I'm a Retired Iron worker...not a computer builder.

What options do I have out there with XP Desk tops?

Thanks

It's not that hard to put a computer together. You have almost 0 options if you want something under 500 bucks WITH XP. As far as I know, XP is not being installed on new systems anymore. Vista is available on sub-500 dollar PCs, but it probably runs like crap on those computers.

Good luck.

I'm a Retired Iron worker...not a computer builder.

What options do I have out there with XP Desk tops?

Thanks

Honestly few if any. Almost all PC's come with Vista now. Even the ones at Wal-Mart which would be the best place to find a sub $500 PC sells it with Vista with no way to get XP since they are pre-installed.

Maybe you can find one at Dell or HP website. That would be your only choice.

Honestly few if any. Almost all PC's come with Vista now. Even the ones at Wal-Mart which would be the best place to find a sub $500 PC sells it with Vista with no way to get XP since they are pre-installed.

Maybe you can find one at Dell or HP website. That would be your only choice.

I checked both before my last reply and all Dells and HPs come with Vista installed.

I also checked there at Dells...and saw the same.
Are vistas all that bad...for what I would be using It for...No gaming??

Zedman...great find...Imay just get that one from Dell...Thanks a ton.
Now I have to figure how much Ram I need and hard drive...Ilike to do videos and pictures...and Internet recearch...maybe 2 GB??...and a good video card??

Unless you game you don't need a video card.

1gb will suffice for an office pc running XP, but 2gbs will not slow up as fast if you have alot of programs running at the same time.

As far as hard drive, I would look at what they cost. ANYBODY can install a hard drive in a pc. Its like putting legos together, really. 250gb ($50) and 500gb ($100) are both dirt cheap. If dell has them overpriced you can just install one when you get it.

But...here's the god's honest truth...Its more about software than hardware. If you take care of a celeron 1.5ghz w/512mb of ram, run virus checks, spyware checks, defrag the hard drive, once a week or so, it will run better than a Quad core with 8gbs of ram that isn't taken care of (ridden with spyware, useless background processes, programs you don't need, ect), at least when it comes to general usage like browsing the web or using microsoft office.

The truth is that the difference between hardware is most noticable because of the software you run. If you take care of your software, even slow hardware will perform fine. There are limitations to hardware, of course, but most people never see the full potential of moderate hardware because they don't take care of their software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom