What is the Admin Password during Repair ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I'm trying to do a Install REPAIR on a laptop running XP Pro. I type "R" to enter the repair console and it then comes up with an Administrator Password ?

I did the XP install on this HD not long ago and did NOT set any Admin Password.

When I simply hit Enter at the Prompt, I get thrown into a DOS Prompt C:Windows/

Where do I go from here ????

You don't use the repair console to do a repair. You go to the partition format area and select a partition to repair.

I'm trying to do a Install REPAIR on a laptop running XP Pro. I type "R" to enter the repair console and it then comes up with an Administrator Password ?

I did the XP install on this HD not long ago and did NOT set any Admin Password.

When I simply hit Enter at the Prompt, I get thrown into a DOS Prompt C:Windows/

Where do I go from here ????

Depends on what you are trying to fix. Since you didn't tell why you are doing the repair, I can only suggest you do the following from there:
chkdsk -r
fixboot
fixmbr

Otherwise reboot and don't select the repair console, but continue on like pete said until it asks you which installation you want to repair. If it doesn't ask you at some point, but wants to format your drive, a repair probably wouldn't work anyway and you may have a failed drive or your Windows install is too corrupt to repair.

that repair option won't show if you don't have the right xp disc, so make sure you have the right one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom