Weired ram problem with Gigabyte GA-965QM DS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dying4004

Solid State Member
guyz i am having Weired ram problem with Gigabyte GA-965QM DS2. bought this mobo today. installed xp and went fine. tried to install vista bt showed error that bios isnt acpi compliant. am using 4gb transend ram ddr2 667 bus. 2gb * 2 sticks. this mobo supports upto 8 gb. 2gb * 4 stcks. so i just take off 1 stick and tried vista and vista setup went fine. then agan put 2 sticks and vista setup failed. then put 2 sticks side by side in slot A3 and A4 knowing that it dual chanel interleaved will not be functioning and i cud boot to vista. then i put 2 sticks ram in slot A1 and A2 and i cud not boot to any OS. it passed boot..... then Intel Management Engne Bios Extension appeared then no boot option appeared. then i pulled off rams and sticked them to A3 and A4 and they worked.

and I AM LOST. i am relying on u guyz hoping that u will shed some light on me. cheerz guyz

Are you running Vista 32 Bit? If so use the search function and see how many topic there are about 32 Bit OS's and 4GB of rAM. They dont work together. That is why you could install with 2GB but not all 4. That is also why you could run it on 2GB but not when you had all 4 in.

It is the same thing with the Dual Channel. They RAM acts in pairs. Instead of alone. So using them in Dual Channel mode allows them to work.

At least that is what i am gathering from your explaination.

Are you running Vista 32 Bit? If so use the search function and see how many topic there are about 32 Bit OS's and 4GB of rAM. They dont work together. That is why you could install with 2GB but not all 4. That is also why you could run it on 2GB but not when you had all 4 in.

It is the same thing with the Dual Channel. They RAM acts in pairs. Instead of alone. So using them in Dual Channel mode allows them to work.

At least that is what i am gathering from your explaination.

thnx for the reply bro. actually i also took part in those 32 bit discussions and i know those limitations and thts why i bought the 64bit architecture mobo so that it supports 4 gb ram (at least the board). 32bit board doesnt even recognizes 4gb ram (ga-945gcmx s2).

after the whole night of investigation

my mobo boots with right 2 slots of rams occupied (single channel shows )

my mobo doesnt boot with left 2 slots of rams occupied (dual channel shows)

my mobo doesnt boot with left 2 slots of rams occupied ( sngle channel shows )

So then it sounds as if the mobo has some dead RAM channels. I would RMA it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom