@killians45, I will try that for sure!
the farcry error was returning "corrupted" errors:
Error 1335. The '(RANDOM FILES HERE)' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.
What's weird is every install attempt gives out different corrupted files.. sometimes i get stopped at 50% .. sometimes i get to as far as 90%.. different corrupted files.. sometimes it's MAP something.. then TEXTURE..most of the time its DATA.CAB.. but for sure it's not consistent.. and the medium/source is perfect as it is a nero image drive file (NRG) and it worked with everyone except me and this other guy..
Could it be that my MSI installer thingy in my system is corrupt? It seem to install everything else (msi, installwise, etc).. only on some stuffs..
Arcane? Not at all. it's all DEFAULT XP stuff. Except for some tweaks on the services... I know my services very well and im sure i didnt touch anything that may have caused this. I have also tried this on my FRESH install of XP.. jumped right to the installation of farcry.
Some may have suggested hardware problem..
I ruled out RAM.. i memtest them.. and interchanged them.. no problems there..
I ruled out HardDrives.. They are under 1 year.. and i've ran numerous tests on them including SpinRite 6.
Processor? I've ran prime95 on my OCs for hours and it didnt fail me..
The only thing i can't verify is Mobo.. How does one check if mobo is 100% ok?
Ok.. now for the hashes. I've created sums for Farcry nrg files as well as their "loaded" images (like it's actually on CD).. I will compare it with my friend's copies later on.. as for now.. I tested the sums that i created from Drive F: (loaded image containing autorun.inf, data1.cab and farcry.exe) and compared it with the actual loaded image (F:/).. I got an error on data1.cab!
thought to myself, this can't be right.. so i created another sum and compared that again with F:/ and it was 100% error free.. somehow the first some i created had mismatched.. the second returned ok.. still the "Actual" install isnt sucessfull..
Now, as for the PhoneWorks package..
I extracted it 2 times.. one with the folder named "PhoneWorksPro" and the other named "asd"...
setup.exe in Phoneworkspro folder gets the 16 Bit error thingy.. the one in the asd folder launches fine.
So, I created sums from both folders and cross checked.. NO ERRORS... So the files are in perfect condition i guess.
also tried your TEMP folder suggestions.. no luck..