Weird start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cally

Beta member
Hi,

I have a really nice, fast system that has worked flawlessly for me for a year. However, about 6 weeks ago "the problem" started. When I turn on the computer the first thing in the morning, it all starts up nicely. However, after I use it for a few minutes (the time varies from 30 seconds to about 5 minutes) the screen will freeze, then go black with a rectangular sign saying "no signal" showing, whereupon the whole system will shut down. I have to press the "reset" button and the computer will turn on again. Immediately prior to my desktop showing, the "no signal" sign will show again and then the computer will work perfectly for the rest of the day.

This went on for 6 weeks or so until last week, when the system wouldn't start at all. I decided it was time to take it into the shop where I'd had the system built in the first place. They kept it for 3 days, did all sorts of diagnostics, re-installed all the components and never had a bit of problem. However, when I got the computer home and re-installed, "it" happened all over again within 5 minutes of turning it on again.

I don't think it's a server problem, as I used my laptop without incident during the time my problem computer was in the shop. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions, because at this point, the guys at the shop are completely stumped?

Thanks in advance,

Cally

hmm

Please give some more information about your computer (possibly post your specs?). Oh and when you say that the store reinstalled all components you don't mean replaced do you?

List all Components.
List all running processes.
What anti virus and Anti spyware programs are you running?
Have you added any new software or hardware latly?
Download everest or speedfan and list the tempartures and voltage readings it gives.

Go through this guide (Unless you already have)
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=119852

Any additional information about what you use the computer for, things youve changed or added would be most helpful.

Google, download, burn and run memest86 for a few hours (6 Minimum) and report results.

You can also try reinstalling the Video Card Drivers.
Google, download and Follow the instructions of Driver Cleaner Pro.
Then reinstall latest Video Card Driver.

I've seen this happen in relation to bad or corrupt video drivers, in which case its easily fixed, you can check the error logs under computer managment for any indicators to start with. Check to see if the problem occurs in safe mode as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom