weird problems booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosty

Baseband Member
Hi
I recently installed my SATA Western digital raptor harddisk into my computer along with a SATA controller card as my old motherboard doesn't have SATA. I then setup a new windows xp OS into the new harddisk. HOwever I seem to encounter problems every now and then when I try to boot up my computer. Either the computer says

1) INvaild system file bah bah bah *like I have no windows*
2) it just gives me a blackscreen. Its like the new harddisk isn't there.

But then I checked the installation to the new harddisk and everything seems fine. I mean the SATA cable is connected and the power is also there.
I have a 350 W power supply. Is it enough to power up 3 harddisk and 1 DVD and 1 CDRW drive? Because i heard that I might not have enough power.

Oh and on the controller card, i was suppose to connect the HDD LED from the computer to the HDD busy connector on the SATA controller card and I have no idea where it is as I can't find my motherboard's manuel! My motherboard is a MSI KT4V argh.. I am going crazy with this... please help...

I would first try and determine weather it is a configuration error with the SATA device or an error caused by the OS... If you have another known working hard drive with an OS try hooking the SATA drive as a slave to that master drive...then if the system is stable you can narrow it down to an OS error...then most likely running a repair on the OS could clear up any madness going on.

Is it being picked up in the BIOS? You may have to enable SATA on the mobo as well...I'm not too sure if the motherboard/BIOS has to support SATA or the controller card takes over all that mess on older systems?

I dont think there is a way to make the SATA drive a slave as there aren't any jumper settings over there on the SATA drive.
I had another OS in another harddisk of mine and I got the SATA drive but some how when I was repair that old OS i managed to destroy it and now trying to boot it up only gives me this blue screen of death *somewhat like that when your windows crashes and starts to dump memory somewhere*

My motherboard doesn't support the SATA which is why I got a SATA controller card. But the controller card's BIOS does pick up the SATA harddisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom