weird problem when installing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyjj2

Solid State Member
Hello :)!

I had to reinstall computer yesterday and met some weird thing. Windows worked terribly slowly, we expected there may be some viruses. There was unexpected behaviour when somebody was clicking My Computer twice with left mouse button. It was asking "Do you really want to erase icon Computer from your desktop? In order to recall it later, go to applet Screen in Control Panel". (So we had to click right mouse button and Explore). Something similar was with "Menu Start" - "Do you really want to erase folder Menu Start and..." - "Menu Start is system folder, necessary to...". Also when somebody was clicking given disc (partition) in My Computer, it was opening the window "which application do you want to use to open it", again there was need to Explore. Also pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del opened the window but it didn't allow to check Task Manager. The other problem was (even after reinstalling) with Partition Magic 7, it couldn't format or delete partitions, after restarting computer it showed screen of PM, but left it withouth error message after some seconds and run Windows in ordinary way.

So I reinstalled Windows. Unexpectedly, the same problems occured once more. I tried to change some options in Screen in Control Panel and they help but only temporarily, restarting computer meant the same problems in new session of using Windows.

The other problem was that person told me he doesn't have any CD with drivers to his compter. What I found was that he's got AMD Athlon. How can I check all required things in Devices Manager? After reinstalling Windows, surprisingly, there were only two tabs in My Computer. I decided to check this computer in Linux. I opened Ubuntu 9.10 (with installing only to RAM memory, LiveDVD part of installer). When opening the system, it played intro music. It could see properly NTFS partition with music but it couldn't play any mp3. It said "The playback of this movie requires a MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder plugin which is not installed".

And the other problem is with BIOS. When I run computer it all the time automatically enters BIOS settings. So I choose Load Failsafe Default (I also tried with Load Optimized Default), I saved the settings and left BIOS settings. It didn't help at all - it opens BIOS setting every single time. What I read in configuration is "CMOS Setup Utility 1985-2005 American Megatrends".

I decided to reinstall Windows once more, but this time with erasing all existing partitions, formatting the new one with NTFS (but that time-consuming formatting, not the fast one). Surprisingly there were some of those problems still present after reinstalling. It is very unexpected for me because it should have new, well-working Windows if it is just after reinstalling. It was now when my friend tried to do something in Screen in Control Panel what helped temporarily (it didn't help after restarting the computer).

I've got also some minor questions. How to install Play Online (pendrive device which enable access to wireless internet) in Linux, not Windows? Where from can I install drivers for Tibon SC 440 USB Studio Microphone?

Greetings :)!

1. How is the format done? With the built in quick format on the Vista Disk? If so there is your problem it is junk. Use Gparted.

2. Use Belarc Advisor, SiSandra Software, Everest to get detailed information about the system.

3. Try updating the BIOS or try a different keyboard. Sounds like a stuck key.

4. To find out how to install the PenDrive device, ask in a Linux area. This area is dedicated to Windows, sorry.

5. Check the Tibon site. They should have the proper drivers for the device.

I would seriously consider a chkdsk /r /f on that drive or even a hard drive replacement. That one has many bad sectors.

Thanks for answers :)!
1. First of all I tried to do the format with Partition Magic 7 in Windows XP but it couldn't execute PM7 properly after restarting the computer. Then I reinstalled Windows XP and formatted first partition (with previous installation of Windows XP) with NTFS (quick). It installed Windows XP on newly-formatted partition but the problems were still present. Later I installed XP again but erased all partitions and used time-consuming NTFS formatting. What is Gparted?
2. Thanks for info :). I hope at least one of those is freeware, I'm gonna check it later.
3. Hm, it sounds difficult to update BIOS. I guess it may lead to damage of BIOS because I heard it is not so easy thing to do. Different keyboard? I don't see any connection between BIOS problem and keyboard and I don't know what those stuck keys are.
4. This is why I say that it is minor question. However it is not ordinary pendrive. I don't know much about this kind of devices but it gives me access to wireless internet. It has got about 12 MB of read-only data with driver and internet access application to be installed in Windows. So I simply enter this pendrive, opens it and install those drivers, run icon from Play installed on desktop, run button "start connection" and I've got internet. Play is company which I mainly associate with mobile phones, similar to Era, Plus, Mobile King and so on.
5. I can find it neither here tibon microphone - Google Search or here Tibon SC440 USB Studio Microphone - Google Search
6. So you simply say that I need to run Command Prompt and then "chkdsk /r /f"?
Greetings :)!

Gparted is a LiveCD that is like Partition Manager but you dont need to be in any OS to use it. Just boot from it and use it. Best thing i have found to use for this situation.

2. Just about all of them have a free version to use. ;)

3. The BIOS Updates are not that hard anymore. Almost all companies have a Windows Utility that will do it for you now. It isnt like the old days with Floppy Disks.

The keyboard is because i think there maybe something stuck under the key of the keyboard which is causing it to go to the BIOS. Something small like a crumb or whatever. It isnt that hard to have a small piece of whatever stuck under a keyboard key causing havoc.

4. the think is Linux does use the executables like Windows does. Onyl a real Linux expert can answer. I have only very limited knowledge of Linux.

5. Have you tried Bing, Yahoo, Ask and so on? Google isnt the only search engine out there. Plus did you try the manufacturer's website and are you sure it is made by Tibon?

6. You need to use the XP CD and the REcovery Console or the Vista DVD and the Command Prompt. If you try to use that command from within Windows you will get a error saying the drive is in use and it will be scheduled later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom