Weird problem with Server 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyGodAL3X

In Runtime
Hey guys,

I am just curious if anyone has seen this.
So I am trying to setup an Active Directory on my server (Just a computer, it uses parts from the PC in my sig) and setup Exchange, just to play around with it, etc.
So I can install Server 2008 R2 Enterprise no problem, but then when I install the Active Directory role, when I reboot, it will not load.
I get the Windows scroll bar loading screen when I turn on the PC, and when it disappears I just get a black screen with my pointer on it. Nowhere to enter my admin password.

I have tried reinstalling Server 2008 and it does no difference, and it does not seem to want to load in Safe Mode (I get the Windows File Loading screen but it just stays there.)

Any ideas?

Perhaps the installation directory is corrupt on your installation disc for ADDS?

I personally haven't seen that before and i've installed and reinstalled R2 half a dozen times or so.

It takes a lot of resources to run as well, see if you can up the memory on the machine to see if that helps. Maybe it's just stalling our when loading.

Alright thanks Lex, I'll try bumping up the memory on the machine (what do you recommend to run that?) and I'll let you know.

I have re-burned the disc though, so unless the ISO is corrupt (which would suck as I can't re-download it, as I am no longer a student) I don't think it is the disc.

I doubt it's the disc but you've gotta take everything into consideration. It would be weird that the OS run's smooth but the add-in's don't work. Also check updates, i did have one update on my R2 machine that crashed the system (can't remember which).

I'd use at least 1.5 gb, i run mine at 2 gb and that seems to be able perfect.

Just asked someone at work and said it might be something to do with Linux.
I had a Linux OS on there before, so he suggested I do a fixmbr in recovery mode.
Might still be trying to get the Linux boot sectors instead of the right ones?

Ever seen that?

And when it comes to memory then I am fine, I have 8 GB in there, just because I had them to spare.

I haven't but i haven't installed linux on the same box that i installed R2. What doesn't make sense to me is that it would load fine, then all of the sudden when ADDS is installed it craps out. ADDS is not something that allows windows to load, the same files are still being loaded OS wise, it's just a group of resources and services that start once windows is loaded.

I guess to be safe completely wipe the drive with dban or something similar.

Yeah seems weird to me as well.
I will try what he suggested, and if that does not work I will wipe it clean with DBAN.

Either way I'll post what is going on.

So I did a fixmbr from the Server 2008 R2 CD and it didn't work, currently doing a quick wipe with DBAN and then going to reinstall and see what happens.
I will edit to let you know.

It still does the same thing, even after I wiped it all with DBAN.

I am at a loss, anyone have any ideas.

I will try installing according to different instructions, but at this point I don't know anymore ... bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom