Weird explorer.exe problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanc

Beta member
This is consolidated from a few posts I made on another forum:
For the last few days my computer has been really odd.

Basically I'll be on it for 5-10 minutes, then anytime I try to run a new application or open anything outside of currently running programs, it won't do anything. Computer doesn't freeze, just won't open any new windows.

I booted in SafeMode and scanned with AVG and didn't find anything. Last week my audio drivers disappeared, but came back after I rebooted.

I really am confused, I do have those stupid "Low Disk Space" warnings on all 3 of my drives, which I'm about to turn off via a registry edit.

Yea the HDD's all low. I cleared to 200mb on my OS drive and it got quicker of course, but it's still freezing up.

For instance if I have task manager open watching stuff, it ends up freezing. Seems like explorer.exe is freezing maybe?

Win+L doesn't work, pretty much anything launched from the OS drive.

Had notepad open a little after I booted. Hit Save and the program froze, alt+tabbed and it brought up a "server busy" prompt, chose switch to, did nothing and notepad is still not responding.

Let me know what info you need from me and thanks for any input.

"The roof... the roof... the roof is on fayaa..."

I have a program called Norton System Works that is designed to automaticaly repair problems in the registry n' stuff. I never had that problem again afterward.

:confused:

I think this problem just depends mostly on the SIZE of the HD compared to the ammount of free space. for example, if you have an 80gb drive like i do, and there is only 200mb of space left, that is too small a fraction to make much of a difference if you are trying to FREE-UP space.

It could also mean the following:

1. you have a virus,
2. malware is stuck in your PC, and remains omnipitant to antivirus/malware removal software ect...
3. your system is hotter than Jessica Alba sun tanning in the sahara deasert. (In other words: your system is running 2222 hot, and it needs cooling.)

you need to do a registry cleaning or something... Post more detail about the problem please... :confused: :cool:

What the heck, you only have 200mb of free space on the OS partition? You need room for the pagefile to grow! Give it more space at least 2gig or 4 gig.

Law said:
What the heck, you only have 200mb of free space on the OS partition? You need room for the pagefile to grow! Give it more space at least 2gig or 4 gig.

This system has been running like this for nearly a year with no problems. I watched the pagefile in Task Manager and it seemed fine?

Forgot to mention that also when I try to shutdown it doesn't respond. It brings up the GUI interface for "turning off the computer" but does not do anything.

Anyone?

chanc said:
This system has been running like this for nearly a year with no problems. I watched the pagefile in Task Manager and it seemed fine?

Forgot to mention that also when I try to shutdown it doesn't respond. It brings up the GUI interface for "turning off the computer" but does not do anything.

Anyone?

Well at first I assume because it fits all sympton of a pagefile issue with low disk space. 200mb of disk space on the Windows partition is still a bad idea and unpredictable problems can occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom