Weird explorer.exe problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Weird explorer.exe problem?

This is consolidated from a few posts I made on another forum:
For the last few days my computer has been really odd.

Basically I'll be on it for 5-10 minutes, then anytime I try to run a new application or open anything outside of currently running programs, it won't do anything. Computer doesn't freeze, just won't open any new windows.

I booted in SafeMode and scanned with AVG and didn't find anything. Last week my audio drivers disappeared, but came back after I rebooted.

I really am confused, I do have those stupid "Low Disk Space" warnings on all 3 of my drives, which I'm about to turn off via a registry edit.

Yea the HDD's all low. I cleared to 200mb on my OS drive and it got quicker of course, but it's still freezing up.

For instance if I have task manager open watching stuff, it ends up freezing. Seems like explorer.exe is freezing maybe?

Win+L doesn't work, pretty much anything launched from the OS drive.

Had notepad open a little after I booted. Hit Save and the program froze, alt+tabbed and it brought up a "server busy" prompt, chose switch to, did nothing and notepad is still not responding.

Let me know what info you need from me and thanks for any input.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Exclamation "The roof... the roof... the roof is on fayaa..."

I have a program called Norton System Works that is designed to automaticaly repair problems in the registry n' stuff. I never had that problem again afterward.

I think this problem just depends mostly on the SIZE of the HD compared to the ammount of free space. for example, if you have an 80gb drive like i do, and there is only 200mb of space left, that is too small a fraction to make much of a difference if you are trying to FREE-UP space.

It could also mean the following:

1. you have a virus,
2. malware is stuck in your PC, and remains omnipitant to antivirus/malware removal software ect...
3. your system is hotter than Jessica Alba sun tanning in the sahara deasert. (In other words: your system is running 2222 hot, and it needs cooling.)

you need to do a registry cleaning or something... Post more detail about the problem please...

Quote:
Originally posted by bonehelm
WTF ROFLMAO !!!! WTF OMFG LOL !!!! PARDON THE ****KING CAPS IM SO ROFL NOW !!!

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

What the heck, you only have 200mb of free space on the OS partition? You need room for the pagefile to grow! Give it more space at least 2gig or 4 gig.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Law
What the heck, you only have 200mb of free space on the OS partition? You need room for the pagefile to grow! Give it more space at least 2gig or 4 gig.
This system has been running like this for nearly a year with no problems. I watched the pagefile in Task Manager and it seemed fine?

Forgot to mention that also when I try to shutdown it doesn't respond. It brings up the GUI interface for "turning off the computer" but does not do anything.

Anyone?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

you want to run a repair in it....
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
you want to run a repair in it....
Slight problem in that I lost my XP discs .
Old 08-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by chanc
This system has been running like this for nearly a year with no problems. I watched the pagefile in Task Manager and it seemed fine?

Forgot to mention that also when I try to shutdown it doesn't respond. It brings up the GUI interface for "turning off the computer" but does not do anything.

Anyone?
Well at first I assume because it fits all sympton of a pagefile issue with low disk space. 200mb of disk space on the Windows partition is still a bad idea and unpredictable problems can occur.

Closed Thread