Weird Characters in Excel - Profile Related - Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVBunyan

Solid State Member
I have to keep rebuilding - my XP/2000.NEt Profile due to the fact that all of a sudden my Excel decimals in the numbers (Currency, Accounting formats) start showing up with diamonds, plus characters, etc. in lace of the decimals -even shows up in the Calculator!!! - so it is not just associated with Office. When I rebuild the profile it goes away - when I log on as another test user it is fine log back to my right profile it is hosed still - can't find in the profile what is hosing up. It happens under XP Pro SP2 plus 2K.net - Any help would be appreciated - getting old rebuilding my profile - it just hoses up all of a sudden!

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
May God bless!

Did you write it in a newer version of Excel.
This will happen if you open a new file in an older microsoft program.

Weird

Thanks turtile for the response - it is possible - the original spreadsheet started out in 2000 a long time ago and has evolved to what it is now in 2003 - it is my financials - Should I just start from scratch in a fresh 2003!?!?! Sounds like I should try it - will be some work but sounds logical - may have taken a while to corrupt and now starting to show up - thanks

Just thought of something - this issue shows up even if I open up a brand new worksheet - the decimals are still whacked , but only under the current profile I am using - a penny for your thougths

God bless

try to remove the application data folder from your local profile...

c:\Documents and Settings\(your name here)...
make sure you have the hidden files and folders showing.
remove folder, or atleast the excel folder from the microsoft folder.

Good suggestion

Thanks "brady" for your response - Good suggestion - I did try that already since it was profile reelated, so we are thinkin alike - but what that does is reset the Excel worksheet template - remember this weird decimal point shows up in calculator also!!!!!!!!!!! Gasp

Thanks again - I'm open for any other suggetsions

May God bless

Figured it out

If anyone is interested - I went into Control Panel- Regional and Language Settings-Customize under English - found the decimal point was corrupted - switched it back to the period and it fixed it - Amazing!!!!

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom