weird boxes in msconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartialClose

Beta member
Hi

I have the following in my MSCONFIG Startup Tab...

There are two lines in the Startup and Command Heading, that contains boxes and the location for the both lines are:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Run

and

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows:Load

What are they and can I disable these??

Also, I have scanned my PC for Adware/Spyware and the program found the VX2.Betterinternet Hacker program. I can delete it but when i restart the PC and run the scanner program again, the VX2.Betterinternet was found again. What program on my PC is starting it up again :confused:

Many thanks

I wouldn't delete these lines. They are registry maps.
Along with whatever is in the startup tab, there are other places in the registry where your system looks to when the computer boots and the user logs in. These are just two other places that your system looks to run applications when the system boots.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W
indows:Run

The HKCU is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
These are, user specific, programs that run when the users logs in. There has to be a link to this in the startup tab so that the system knows to look there to run the applications. If you like, you can look in the registry under these paths to see what exactly is starting up.

-Mike

I'm not farmiliar with VX2.Betterinternet, maybe there is spyware that keeps on putting it there, maybe it is not going to the internet so can not be detected by spyware programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom