weird blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlim

Solid State Member
It all started after fall break last semester. When i brought my computer back to the dorms, i started getting the blue screen of death. it would would say something about a sudden stop, check your video device. i updated my video drivers like it said to try. that didn't work so i also tried booting in safe mode to see if that would make it stop. it still blue screened. it did it randomly, over and over anywhere from right after i logged in, all the way through being ok a few hours then blue screening.

I said i would fix it during winter break when i brought my computer home. Well i brought my computer home, and it never blue screened once through the whole 3 weeks. i thought it fixed itself. then i came back to the dorms recently, and the first time i plug it in, 5 minutes later it blue screens. this time the message says that "the blue screen was caused by this file: " and it gave no file. Is there something i can try?

I'm confused why it works perfectly fine at home, and blue screens over and over at school. i have the exact same setup at both places. Any help is appreciated.

some more information if it helps
Athlon 3800 x2
Geforce 7800 GT
ABIT AN8 SLI motherboard
Windows XP Pro SP2

The only reason I can think of is overheating because of the room temperature or not getting enough power from the outlet. Sound a lot like a hardware problem though.

How long did you test the machine out at home before you made the conclusion that it works fine there?

im almost 100% sure it isn't overheating. my processor runs at 25º, hard drives at 28º and power supply at 30º. it could be the outlet though... hm...

i tested it for all of break which was about 3 or so weeks. it didn't blue screen once. now it does usually every 5-10 minutes like it did right before i went to break.

is there any way to test an outlet?

maybe i should post in the hardware forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom