web server questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

thanks for helping me out with the qeb server questions.

can you guys tell me what these web server terms mean?

Log File Access
Backup / Restore Manager
Custom Error Pages
Sub Domains
Catch All
FrontPage Extensions (2000/XP)
Available ODBC Drivers
Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db)
Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver
Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls)
Microsoft dBase Driver
Microsoft SQL Server
PostgreSQL
Available Scripting Features

i guess web based site management means some sort of cpanel?

Log File Access - you can access the log file and see who has been visiting your site

Backup / Restore Manager - presumably if something screws up it can be restored

Custom Error Pages - exactly what is says, if you get an error such as 404 not found you can create your own custom page to appear when the error occurs

Sub Domains - presumably something like subDomain.domain.com

Catch All - haven't got a clue

FrontPage Extensions (2000/XP) - if you create a page with frontpage there are functions you can put into your page to make it dynamic, these require front page extensions to be available for them to happen

Available ODBC Drivers - Open DataBase Connectivity - basically a standard way of accessing databases

The following will allow you to work with the software specified, e.g. MS Access driver will allow you to work with MS Access.
Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db)
Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver
Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls)
Microsoft dBase Driver

Microsoft SQL Server & PostgreSQL - support for both query languages

Available Scripting Features - presumably they support some scripting languages although they dont say which ones!

Although a server offers all of these they may well charge extra for them, so watch out - especially with the sub domains.

No doubt this is a MS based server, if you dont understand what the terms mean it is unlikely you will be using them. Out of these features you may use one or two they seem to have offered all of them to appeal to most people rather than offer a lot to one person. Personally i would go for a nice unix based server with php, and perl cgi as well as a MySQL but that is just my personal opinion - you can do most things with this and it is pretty standard in that most servers will suppport this so if for some reason you need to move your site to another server it is just a straight swap

odbc drivers - odbc is the universal protocol for talking to dbs. the above list is included but not limited to.

sql & postgres - these are actual server softwares. any apps/scripts/langs should be supported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom