Web loading takes up 20-30% CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
As the topic implies, when I load web pages, CPU usage shoots up to somethimes as high as 35%. I have a 3Ghz P4 with HT, so why is parsing html and loading images/pages/data such a problem for it? I am running off a clean XP Pro SP2 install and using firefox. Is this sort of usage common? If it's not, here are some of the causes I have thought of:
-XP having network problems (internet is DSL, running off switch)
-CPU semi-broken (I would think highly unlikely)
-New version (1.0.2) of FF is bugy/handles loading differently
-Because I have no other programs running (just winamp and FF), FF just uses as much as it wants in an irresponsible manner (not really qualified to back that up :(
-It's an indication of a serios or soon to be serious porblem with my system

Can anyone debunk some or all of those, or point me to the source of the problem?
BTW, Aquamark runs as it did on my old install (a little better even :) )

i just loaded firefox and the CPU usage shot up to 54% and avg.20-30% so i'm pretty sure you're fine

err...yes...that's what happens when you open up firefox, or any program for that matter. Close all your apps...and then run task manager. That's how much you idle at...then open firefox see how much your cpu usage increases.
Anyways...so you want to make your computer faster? When you first start your computer, disconnect from the internet (if you want to i don't care) and then end process of all the processes that have the user name of shadowwyvern (are you a fire emblem fan?), except for taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe. That should make your computer run without bells and whistles until the next time you start it. And to make those processes stop forever, use winpatrol...but winpatrol will be a startup item...so you might wanna disable that.

Mine is ususally idle at 0-3% with half second long spikes of around 15-30%. I know starting up apps takes more power than running them; i'm not too concerned about that. But mere web browsing (no flash or anything fancy, just some gif banners - site I first noticed it on was wincustomize). It could very well be normal

No, I am not a fire emblem fan, but Know of the games and have a mild desire to play them. I just like dragons and shadow was an appealing prefix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom