Web browsers connecting to internet but not computer programs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alando43

Beta member
Hi, my internet is working for browsing with firefox and IE... but programs like AIM and full tilt poker cant connect to the internet.
If anyone could help me out with this quick I would appreciate it. thanks.

Are you using a firewall? Have you recently changed ISPs? Usually it is something simple, like allowing the program access or a change proxy.

i took of the firewall. and i am still using the same ISP. idk what changing proxy is though?

Some ISPs use a proxy to connect to the net. I remember Earthlink did, and it changed about once a week for some reason.

This may be more of a Windows problem. I'll move it there... it will have a better chance of getting a solid answer.

I dont think mine does that. I have cable internet.

Anyways I recently had to restore my computer... and it hasnt worked since. Does that help in solving this?

Please answer most of what you can here:

What version of windows?

Do you get any error messages from AIM or any other programs?

Do you connect to the internet directly or through another PC? For example, your network cable is connected to the router directly and then to the cable modem? Have you had any special rules setup on your router before? Can you try to connect directly to the modem and see if it works then? What is your ISP?

When going to the command prompt (start > run> type in cmd) can you ping google.com and other sites? (ping website.com)

Go to your network connections.. (in the control panel, if you use classic view) can you tell us what you see? Your LAN connections specifically? Perhaps you can toss in a screen shot (make sure you expand the columns so we can see, and please use "details" for the view - menu VIEW > Details).

Finally, did you install all your drivers ok? Right click on my comptuer > properties. Click the Hardware tab, then Device manager. Any red or yellow icons? Screen shot for us?

Simple solution to try first is to reinstall the software. What I mean is uninstall it, restart, install it again. Look for updated version also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom