web apps not 64 bit compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not unlike some games that use protection like PunkBuster. Those items need to be updated to confirm that the OS is use is eligable to be used with the site/item. This is something that has been brought up before and i can verify that i know that Kodak is slow at getting the support updated for their site. One of the people that used to do this for them left the company last year to work for Microsoft.

The sites check what version of Windows you are using and if it doesnt match one that is approved, then you get the message. I have seen this before and it stinks when it happens. The only thing you can do is submit this information to them or find a work around.

The OS platform is not much different that the browser. It is finding that you are using Kernel 6.1 with build 7600 which is Win7 RTM. The database must only allow for kernel 6.1 build 6000 which is Vista. So they are a bit behind.

so, what I need to do is find a way to trick it into thinking that Win 7 is actually vista (kernel 6.0 build 6200 I believe)

Any ideas how to do that?

update, I found a workaround.

The registry hack located here works like a charm.

Thank you all for your replies.

Oh, and for future reference, the expression you would want to look for on an issue like this is "user agent".

That is something that most browsers have a workaround for built in. Opera can mask or be identified by a different user agent. So you are not changing the "user agent" truly. Even Firefox has it built in. That registry entry you found did not change your user agent but got your OS identified as Vista. If it was just a switch of the user agent i would have said so as i tried Opera and Firefox's built in switcher.

I have not seen any options to change the user agent beyond the browser. If you download and go to edit the .reg file, you'll see that it does in fact change the user agent.

The problem with those built in features, is they are only trying to give you work arounds so that they are just as compatible as other browsers.

Though, what led me to that was a user agent switching addon for firefox that I found.

The Registry Edit you found and used changed more than just the User Agent. It identified your system as something other than Win7. It said Win NT 6.1 which is what Vista is currently identified as. It changed the identity of the OS being used.

User Agent Switchers do work. I use them all the time to mask, hide or identify the browser in use as something else. As i said previously and will continue to say, the website are idenifing the OS in use. The Registry Tweak you used switched the OS from being identified as Win7. It is as simple as that.

There is a simple way to understand it. If it works from XP Mode in Win7 due to the fact that the OS is being identified as XP and not Win7, using the registry tweak that you found is identifying your OS as Vista not Win7 to get it working. As i have already said several times now, this is more than just a user agent switch. If it was just a agent switch, then the extension in Firefox, the option in Opera would work from within Win7. Since they dont and this does work, it changed your identity from Win7 to a compatible OS.

There is no way to change the user agent beyond the browser cause it is not something that should be done. Now that you have, you might see some problems with your Windows Updates as your system is being identified as Vista not Win7.

ah. ok. I see what you're saying. So, instead, I should use something like this: Bayden Systems - ProxyPick

edit: and I did back up the registry on my machine before making the change, because I was worried about something exactly like what you described with windows updates.

further edit: tested and verified that it is not making registry edits in the manner that the .reg file was (it has it's own string rather than modifying the internet settings string) and it doesn't save the changes unless you check the box to use the settings in new windows.

Alright so basically it is spoofing the user agent of a browser in Vista. At that point it should be safe to use. I say should cause if you save the settings by accident you could get the issue with WU that i mention.

I would just be careful. Get contacts out to Kodak and the other sites and get them updated. It isnt hard, it is just a simple file edit to include 6.1.7600 as a allowed OS.

Yeah, I already contacted Kodak. It took them more than 2 hours before I could get them to send the issue to anyone that would care. I am not impressed with their customer service.

Thanks again for your help.

Glad i could be of help and assure you of what the real problem was. Yes Kodak is bad when it comes to these types of things. Cause of their lack of customer service i have strayed away from using their products. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom