WAY Too Many Processes, Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl4ckn1ght1

Beta member
I've been searching around for programs that could automatically tell me what I do and don't need, however I've come up empty. I realize it's a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated. My physical memory is constantly dropping to 1 and causing my computer to be extremely slow.

processesyi2.jpg

Well how much RAM do you have? What is your Virtual memory (paging file) set to?

And it says right next to the process what it is. All you'd need to do is google the executable you don't think is necessary or are wondering what it does, and use your own judgement whether you use it a lot.

Can always take off startup processes/services as well by going to start > and type in "msconfig" (without quotes) in the search bar in Vista and run that.

Edit: 75 isn't that much... I constantly have 79 or so processes running on my machine...

I usually have around 65, and i've been wondering if that's a bit much lol. guess not. my memory isn't dropping low or anything, i just don't like needless things running for no reason.
But yeah I don't know of any guides in particular.
You run mcafee and avg?
I had to ditch mcafee when the got rid of the old style on 05 or 06 and swapped to something that just slowed the system for no reason.
other than that most of those seem pretty standard I suppose. A few I've never seen.

I stopped using mcafee about a month ago but I'm still struggling to remove all of it lol, came standard with the computer. Atm I just use a full version of AVG which words incredibly well.

Idk, it's just annoying that I can't view some websites without cracking up my music playing from running out of physical memory. Can't figure out where it all went so I just assumed I have too many processes that assist in slowing it down.

3 Gigs of Ram, 3361 virtual memory.
I only have 3.5GB of physical RAM, and my page file is set to 4096 (I suggest you do this as well), and my computer hardly ever bogs down.

I stopped using mcafee about a month ago but I'm still struggling to remove all of it lol, came standard with the computer. Atm I just use a full version of AVG which words incredibly well.
|MG| McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 2.0.155.1 in conjunction with CCleaner - Home

Idk, it's just annoying that I can't view some websites without cracking up my music playing from running out of physical memory. Can't figure out where it all went so I just assumed I have too many processes that assist in slowing it down.
Look to see what processes are taking up most of the memory when this happens.

Set both the initial and Max to 4096 (because 4*1024 = 4096). Then click 'Set'. Click OK on all the dialog boxes; you may have to restart for the changes to take affect.

Also, what are the rest of your specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom