Way to keep metadata when copying video files?

theuire45

Beta member
I didn't think it would be as hard to find an answer to this, but its proving difficult. I'm just trying to move video files (from my main hardrive to a different drive/s, both for back up purposes and to save space. Unfortunately, I can't figure out a way to do that without the original 'created' date being replaced with current date.

With .mov files, they still retain a 'modified' date with the original date I shot the video, but I'd rather be able to keep the 'created' date as well for editing purposes. With .avi files, both 'created' and 'modified' are replaced by current date, so no record of the actual date it was shot. I'm Running Vista on an older Dell Inspiron desktop. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I believe RoboCopy can do this. If you use the /T switch when using it you can accomplish this.

I know EMCopy does this as well, that is what I use at work but you have to pay for it.

Thanks for the tip. Robocopy works. I actually downloaded RichCopy which provides a GUI to Robocopy functions. It's slow but doing the job. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom