Wave Service packs for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

velocidallas

Banned
Can you wave all service packs for Windows XP and still be able to use programs like Yahoo messenger, AIM or Java from java.com?

Yes, but it would be a horrible idea. Service packs are created to fix glitches and security holes in the OS. You waving (if you mean not installing) these leaves an old operating system vulnerable to attacks and malware.

Well I do know that Windows XP comes with firewall so that should protect it from viruses etc. When I got my laptop it didn't came with Service Packs since the computer was made in May 2002. I normaly want to just keep the system with the way is was made since if I do any updates I know for a fact that it will slow the system down since my latop isn't made for Service Pack 1,2 or 3. Maybe Service pack 1 at most is ok but I still feel it's best to have the system the way it was installed when I got the computer.

I think that if your laptop was not able to handle any XP service packs then it would not be sold with XP on it. Service packs are part of the operating system, and like Lex said, it would just be a bad idea not to keep up with them. Also, you can bet that the XP firewall is a lot worse off without any updates. You're computer will be very susceptible to attacks, viruses and other harmful things prey on people who don't update their computers.

Why do you say that your laptop isn't made for it? Is it really slow or?

Well to tell you the truth for about 3 years I have had my system without any updates and not even had one virus or spyware etc. Before I had SP2 when it came out and it slowed my laptop so I decided to use to recovery disks and leave the system the way it's suppose to be and so far I had no problems. I just wanted to ask if any programs that are newer will work without Service Packs. I use my wireless internet since I got high speed cable 4 years agao or maybe it was 3 years agao I can't remember and had no problems. Before I use to use Dial up 56K for many years since my mom wasn't able to afford high speed DSL or Cable. But we found a great deal on cable and use Vonage for our phone and we were able to have Qwest Cable internet.

Also XP today is whole lot different than XP made in 2002 since there have been soo much changes I think XP today needs more better computer than computers made in 2002 when XP just came out.

if you don't think you have any keyloggers, trojans, or spyware you're in luck. you can check for yourself by going through this tech-forums spyware removal guide and post all 3 logs in the proper area.

Well I do know that Windows XP comes with firewall so that should protect it from viruses etc. When I got my laptop it didn't came with Service Packs since the computer was made in May 2002. I normaly want to just keep the system with the way is was made since if I do any updates I know for a fact that it will slow the system down since my latop isn't made for Service Pack 1,2 or 3. Maybe Service pack 1 at most is ok but I still feel it's best to have the system the way it was installed when I got the computer.
Sorry but that is incorrect. XP SP2 is when the firewall was introduced with the Security Center. XP SP1 and XP without SP's did not have any firewall at all.

Also a firewall does NOT protect you from viruses, etc. Since infections can now be part of even a flash image you can be infected even with a firewall by viewing websites. Firewall or not, anti-virus installed or not.

If you want to do it, that is fine. But we can't offer support for you. Since there are so many updates that you will be missing that are not just Service Packs but can only be installed after a service pack is installed you leave yourself open to attacks and infections that we can not help you with if you dont take proper procautions to protect yourself against by getting all updates.

It is your machine and you can do what you want with it. But almost every site out there will not offer proper support since there is so much that you will be missing in the 9 years it has been since XP was first released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom