wanting to sell Win 7 upgrade DVD

dazzyboy10

Baseband Member
I have an oldish home built PC that I am looking to sell and want to include the Windows 7 upgrade DVD I have with it but I am unsure if I can or not.

I no longer have it installed on my system and have read that it is possible but I just want a second opinion before going ahead with it.

You can't. Only full retail copies of Windows can be transferred. Since this was an upgrade, it is tied to the previous version of Windows that was used.

How is it tied down if you can do a clean install from it and i did that a couple yimes on different drives without having vista installed

Cause it is an upgrade. Meaning that you had to have used a previous qualifying OS before the OS was installed. The clean install trick was never sanctioned by Microsoft. A clean install using upgrade media is never the intention of the media. Hence the term upgrade.

So while you can, doesnt mean anything. The media is supposed to be used with a previous version of Windows already installed, if the person doesnt know the trick or have a previous version of Windows, then they are SOL.

Plus, again, upgrades do not qualify for transfer. Only full retail versions qualify for transfer with the official disk and Certificate of Authenticity. If you do not have both of those items as well as deactivate Windows from the previous machine, then even the full retail version doesnt qualify for transfer to another owner.

These are the terms laid out in the EULA that you agree to at the very beginning of the install of Windows. Most people do not read them fully to know that upgrades are only to be used by the person who purchased them.

Well the version of Vista I had was only the upgrade version anyway which I did a clean install of and never had XP before that

Actually I just realised that I did have Windows XP as I have just looked through the Vista box and found the DVD along with the COA. The only thing I'm a little wary about is that it states on the disc and manual for XP that it is "For distribution only with a new PC"

The COA states, "Windows XP Home Edition OEM Software"

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM versions are not transferrable. They are only good for the system that they are installed with and no other system.

Plus it doesnt matter if you had a previous version before Vista or not. That doesnt matter as the Vista install would have been the version that qualified for the Win7 install.

The only thing that matters is that you want to sell an upgrade version of Windows 7 with the PC, that version is not able to be transferred to a new owner. Nothing before that matters all that matters is by the terms of the EULA and TOS of Windows, you cant do what you want.

If you want to do something that violates those terms, that is your choice. You asked if it was possible and while anything is possible, I am telling you the technical matters. Cause if something does happen and their OS gets deactivated for what ever reason, do you think they will be real happy with you? You have the proper information and all the legal mumbo jumbo. The choice is yours what you do. I am just saying that their OS will technically be illegal per the terms laid out. What can happen is anyones guess, but since it breaks those terms, that makes it illegal and against our rules to clearly state what can be done. ;)

So if I was to rebuild the original system I had that I installed XP on in the first place, would that be OK. Is that basically stating that OEM software is tied to the original motherboard it was installed along side of?

If you rebuild the system and install XP, it would still only be able to be operated by you. You are the owner and licensed operator. OEM cant be transferred to a new owner.

Basically you would have to buy a new copy of Windows to sell with the PC or sell it without an OS to stay within the EULA and TOS.

Back
Top Bottom