Want to view contents of Thumbs.db File

Status
Not open for further replies.

olifer

Solid State Member
Now that I have located the correct Thumbs.db file on my computer, I am looking for a utility that will allow me to view the contents of it. Does anyone know where I can get this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Thanks for the help and advice. I don't have a copy of it. If you're fairly certain that it will open it though, I can go get a copy. Have you tried it yourself?

afaik, only windows can read this file

from http://www.fcs.iastate.edu/computer/tips/thumbs/

For some time now I have been concerned about a mystery file called Thumbs.db that started appearing in many folders on my computer, my server account, and the College web server. The name seemed ominous. Was this the sign of some sort of hacker getting into the system and leaving his/her finger prints around?

The truth - as is so often the case - turned out to be much more mundane and innocuous. The thumbs.db file is generated by the Windows operating system. It is a database file containing the small images displayed when you view a folder in "thumbnail" view (as opposed to tile, icon, list, or detail view). No harm is done by deleting thumbs.db files. There is no need to include them in your system backups. Whether you see these files or not is a function of your File Options settings.

dunno then, as csamules stated they are harmless and contain only smaller images of stuff already on your drive.

Thanks for looking into it for me. I have the problem solved. There is a Shareware utility called PolyView that does a wonderful job with these types of files.

Thanks everybody!
Olifer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom