Want to dual boot from 2 HDDs both with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonv

Beta member
Here's my situation:

I'm getting a new computer at work that will have XP on it. However, it will be set up by IT to have adminstrative protection, meaning I won't be able to install any of my own software.

What I would like to do, is add my own second hard drive also with XP on, but with no Admin crap, so I can install whatever software I want. However, I want to keep the original hard drive intact so that I can always return to it if I think IT is suspicious.

Ultimately I would like a system that boots to the original Admin hard drive, unless I hold down a button during the post, and this brings up the option to boot to my own disk.

I'm pretty sure this can be done. I have set up XP to handle dual boots of multiple OSs from different partitions before, but not seperate disks both with XP. I'm not sure what additional software or hardware is required, and jumper settings for disks etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Plug in the second hard drive and go through the whole install process but install to the new drive. Set the hard drive with the "Admin" version to boot first and boot into your version when you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom