Vulnerable during startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredley

Solid State Member
I only use a software firewall for protection of my computer that is running XP home edition. It just dawned on me that since my firewall doesn't run until after I'm logged on, my system must be vulnerable to attack during the time that my computer is waiting for me to log in. Have I correctly assessed this vulnerability?

No, your computer should be fine whilst you are not logged in.

When you log in to a network, your computer connects to the network then and there, when you log out, all current connections are closed. In other words, your node is disconnected from the network.

The same applies for the Internet, you cannont connect to the iNet unless you are logged in and when you log out, that connection is closed.

Catbert said:
No, your computer should be fine whilst you are not logged in.

When you log in to a network, your computer connects to the network then and there, when you log out, all current connections are closed. In other words, your node is disconnected from the network.

The same applies for the Internet, you cannont connect to the iNet unless you are logged in and when you log out, that connection is closed.

im pulling my bs card on this post. reason being if i turn on my comp and do not login, i can still access my shares on that pc. same thing if i logon and logoff. You can also ping the comp as well.

however about security, there maybe a moment where the firewall leaves the comp unprotected. but if you leave the comp logged off at the login prompt, the firewall should be running. why? because firewall put there startup entry inside the registry startup key. This means that it should be starting as soon as you see the blank desktop after the splash screen.

i do remember vaguely an article on comps being unprotected during this time, but i think it may have been a certain firewall app.

csamuels said:
im pulling my bs card on this post. reason being if i turn on my comp and do not login, i can still access my shares on that pc. same thing if i logon and logoff. You can also ping the comp as well.

Well you shouldn't be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom