VPN or remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
Hi,

so first time doing this , and after doing some reading i am lost to witch route to take . I am trying to access my desktop at home from my laptop from anywhere , mostly to share files or edit them for work , and from what i understand i have two options either remote desktop with team viewer or VNC or VPN using hamachi but i have to setup specific shared folders but my files are on multiple drives some personal and some for work , so i am wondering which would be a better option and which tools is best to use ?
Thanks

but with team viewer dont you have to have the other side give you a user name and password ? does that mean someone have to be on the other side to do it ?

i honestly rather not store my work files anywhere other my laptop and my desktop, besides reading through it seems i have to use MSN(which i hate ) , and i have to setup specific folders to share .

I agree with strollin, Teamviewer is pretty easy.
but with team viewer dont you have to have the other side give you a user name and password ? does that mean someone have to be on the other side to do it ?

You'll need to set a client to autorun on your pc at home, but other than that no you don't need anyone there except for the initial setup.

Thanks for the info , i have setup team- viewer and its amazing , i didn't get to actually use it until today when i forgot my gigantic terabyte hardrive at home . it does everything i need so i think i am going to stick with it . the only thing that i cant figure out is streaming media from library at home but its not a big deal .

I don't see a reason I need to say this as you are already using it, but I'm another TeamViewer user. :big_grin:

To stream your library from home, you can set up something like Hamachi and share your remote drives contents on the local network and connect to it through Hamachi.

yeah i think i am going to move my media to a shared drive and set up hamachi .it seems hamachi ( the free version ) does that one extra thing, and hamachi pro does what team viewer and hamachi free do, but for that sub price($300/Y for 5 computers) i think ill just stick to this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom