Volume License Key change to Retail without repair/format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast_download_6

Beta member
When I first built my computer I got everything from newegg quite quickly except my copy of winxppro sp1, which, came about a week later due to some difficulties on their end. During this time, i built my computer, and loaded it with a VL key cd so i could see if I had everything working ect. By the time my copy of xp came, i figured it didn't matter to install over, and used my copy VL copy that i had put on it and never opened the copy of xp i got and just shelfed it for the time being. Now that i realise VL copy is a royal pain with updates and the likes, i want to import my retail key into my computer over the VL key so i can do updates normally, but i have alot of things set the way i like, and lack room to back up most things even if i did want to format.

So, all in all, I've been looking for a way to change my key from a VL to a Retail so i can get updates and all.

So far, I've thought of copying the pidgeon.dll file and the other 'corporate files' that people normally copy from a VL cd, from my Retail cd, and doing a 'backwards' to retail conversion, but i figured getting some input on whether or not that's a good idea from here would be a good idea first.

Also, if anyone knows an easier way to make this 'conversion' that'd be great too, thank you all.

Why is everyone's answer to difficult problems with windows 'reinstall'? there's tons of things that can be fixed without reinstalling windows every time. Something as basic as a cdkey cannot be as deeply engraved into the operating system as it seems, and it shouldn't be that difficult to change a value.

Uhm, RockXP just uses the same vbs script, and ask for another VL key (in which if you try to enter a retail key, you get an error). I doubt there's a premade key changer to do a convert from a vl key to a retail, but i know the files that control whether your installation is vl or retail (i'd list them but i have to leave in a min or so, google it a bit if you want to look them up, or i'll post the names later)

Im not sure what you mean about having issues with updates over the vl key. What is going on with this? I use a VL key at home and the updates are the same as a retail copy of xp

Fast_download_6 said:
Why is everyone's answer to difficult problems with windows 'reinstall'? there's tons of things that can be fixed without reinstalling windows every time. Something as basic as a cdkey cannot be as deeply engraved into the operating system as it seems, and it shouldn't be that difficult to change a value.

because you want to turn an orange into an apple, when you really have to plant an apple seed to get that apple

Okay i will answer this the same way i answered it on another topic. To give you directions on how to use your Volume License key as a legit one would be considered Warez. It would be giving directions on how to Pirate XP and therefor considered illegal.

If you truly wish to change your key either call M$ and explain how this happened and maybe you will luck out and be able to get this copy activated for now. Change the Key so it has your key from the one you purchased. Or just format and reinstall.

Any other method breaks the rules of this forum. Plus it isnt as simple as copying a folder. It takes much more than that. That still wont allow you to pass the WGA.

Makaveli213 said:
Okay i will answer this the same way i answered it on another topic. To give you directions on how to use your Volume License key as a legit one would be considered Warez. It would be giving directions on how to Pirate XP and therefor considered illegal.

If you truly wish to change your key either call M$ and explain how this happened and maybe you will luck out and be able to get this copy activated for now. Change the Key so it has your key from the one you purchased. Or just format and reinstall.

Any other method breaks the rules of this forum. Plus it isnt as simple as copying a folder. It takes much more than that. That still wont allow you to pass the WGA.

so true. I was trying to do what he doing last year and the only way I could achieve the results was with a crack. I didn't want to use a crack as my versions were legit. I was trying to give somebody features that a vlk windows had that retail home didn't have (domain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom