VMWare Browser Appliance the safest browsing experience yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
This hefty download supplies a Firefox browser that runs in a fully virtualized environment; it's much like using a separate PC just for the Web. the player is fairly easy to install, and it offers a great deal of safety for systems with the resources to run it.

This bundle's two-step installation routine is surprisingly easy, and afterward you'll have Firefox running within a fully distinct Ubuntu Linux operating system (the full download is about 300MB). The combination runs within its own window, completely segregated from the Windows OS. If you come across something that can break through Firefox running under Linux, the malware won't be able to get to anything in Windows. And restoring the isolated browser to a clean state is simple.

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/browserapp.html

you need VMware Player

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Deathawk said:
Or... you can just use Opera.. :)

Cool, but not very practical.

opera isn't that secure. the only reason that it's a little secure now is because it's not as popular as FF or IE, so it isn't getting attacked that much, but there are some holes in it

Windows Internet Explorer 7+

Phishing protection that actually works
Back when the MSN Toolbar for IE6 with phishing protection came out, every other site was marked as suspicious, unless of course, it really was, then it was marked as OK. But with IE7, it properly detects certain types of phishing sites and offers heightened security when browsing dangerous parts of the web.

Invalid certificate warnings
If a page claims to be secured but for some reason its certificate doesnÂ’t match, IE will no longer politely inform you of it in the taskbar. Instead, it takes the prerogative and refuses to open the page until you are doubly-sure of the URI you entered and where you want to go.

Script Blocking
JavaScript windows such as message boxes are now blocked unless you click the toolbar to temporarily allow the site, unless its already on your trusted sites list.

Internet Explorer is no longer integrated with Windows Explorer

International Domain Support w/ Anti-Domain Name Spoofing

ActiveX Controls must be clicked to activate

Status bar can no longer be modified

Protection against many previous JavaScript XSS attacks

New 256-bit cipher strength for encrypted transactions

New “Protected Mode” The browser runs in a sandbox with even lower rights than a limited user account. As such, it can write to only the Temporary Internet Files folder and cannot install start-up programs or change any configuration of the operating system without communicating through a broker process. Improved pop-up blocking

The most important of these is Internet Explorer’s “Protected Mode,” which is the epitome of online security. Your web browser runs in a virtual environment with practically no rights.

Sound a bit like Internet Explorer’s “Protected Mode”.

I am going to pretend I didnt hear the Opera comment tho as I am sure your smarter than that ;)

That's a real simple concept that most regular users would benefit from, say for example: If you wanted to do all your dirty work, do it in a virtual machine running VMware or Virtual PC, probably on Linux would be good, but if you're used to Windows then it doesn't matter. Since it's a virtual machine.

I know people who use VMware for testing purposes, like installing patches on a virtual machine running Windows Server before they deploy it into their production environment.

Some people test out viruses and all that malicious application on a virtual machine to see the affect and how to clean it up.

Jam3s-Zer0 said:
Sound a bit like Internet Explorer’s “Protected Mode”.

I am going to pretend I didnt hear the Opera comment tho as I am sure your smarter than that ;)

Yeah I'm smart enough to know that if as many people use opera as people that use FF, it would have a lot more vulnerabilities then it do now.

no browser is bulletproof and the simple fact is, opera isn't as popular as the other browsers so people haven't really had the need to attack it.

I posted this topic to help people out. I didn't post it for an opera vs FF war

EricB said:
I didn't post it for an opera vs FF war

Good, i didnt want it to be, actually I havnt even mentioned FF so why did you bring it up? The main part of my post was the similarity to Internet Explorer’s “Protected Mode”.

The simple fact is since Opera does not have in-built support for ActiveX or VBScript which makes it alot more secure.

Looks pretty cool. I think it's more the user than which browser they use though. ;)

Bruce said:
Looks pretty cool. I think it's more the user than which browser they use though. ;)

so true. it kill me how opera lovers will always hate firefox. we should be on the same side. the safe browsing side.

I don't care what all of the reports say. do you know anybody who got a virus or their computer have been compromise because through FF?

no. for one, FF fixes the problem immediately. opera has a few issues too that needed patches despite what their lovers think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom