Vista's end of life and what to do about it

*shrugs* $150 for an OS, or $250 for the basement bargain laptop at walmart? Chances are users will go the easiest route for them, which is Walmart.

As for Win7... I feel if Microsoft didn't use malware like tactics to get Win7 users to upgrade to Win10, then Win7 would have ended up in the same boat as XP with some serious extended patch support for a good bit longer. The way I see it is, Win7 is the new XP, and Win10 is the new Win7. Yes, Win8 was another Vista/ME accident.

Last edited:
Its not about support, windows 7 is clean and easy to use.

If it was about support then they wouldn't be on vista right now and would already be on 8.1 or 10..

I will most likely use windows 7 even after support because its a great OS, no fancy gimmicky GUI/apps and all that crap win 10 brings.

Its not about support, windows 7 is clean and easy to use.

If it was about support then they wouldn't be on vista right now and would already be on 8.1 or 10..

I will most likely use windows 7 even after support because its a great OS, no fancy gimmicky GUI/apps and all that crap win 10 brings.

The same was said about XP -> 7 :rolleyes:

To be honest, the Win10 gui for the AVERAGE user isn't much different, it's honestly better over all for the AVERAGE user. Sorry, but the people that tend to frequent and post in forums like this, are NOT average users. The "Settings" method is much more user friendly towards the AVERAGE user in Win10 compared to the traditional control panel. However, Microsoft has kept the control panel around for many things for power users as there are some deeper settings that can only be access by the control panel.

The only real change, GUI wise, is the start-menu, which I personally like. I have around 230 programs installed, it takes way too long to navigate the start menu to find them, all it takes is Winkey and some quick typing and I generally have the program I need in a few key strokes, never having to remove my hand from the keyboard. In Win7 this is actually a bit clunkier than Win10, as Win10 seems to have a "learning" method to what people will access most frequently, similar to how a browser goes, "Oh, he typed 9, lets offer 9gag as a suggested hit first since he visits that most frequently".

Do I hate Win10? Yes, I do, but there are ways to control the data collection services, and I don't suggest trying to control them on the machine, but at a network level in the firewall. I tried on a Win10 machine by disabling things, and it just broke Win10 to the point I needed a FRESH install.

Further on the data collection - I HATE it, but I LOVE it. Lets say there are 200,000 motherboards all with the same chipset and drivers in computers out there. If microsoft releases a patch that breaks with that particular motherboard, they have 200,000 machines most likely reporting back, "hey, this patch broke on machine ID XYX, here is my detailed information for the machine not including the username or who it REALLY is using this machine". At this point, Microsoft can fix the patch in a way that works for that machine, or has a workaround created so it works. If a smaller subset of those machines have something different on them, that patch-fix could actually make things WORSE because they may not have reported hardware or driver information back to Microsoft.

Do I hate it? Yes, I do, because this information can be farmed and sold to companies for money. Do I love it? Yes, I do, because it can lead to a much more stable system in the long term.

As to who they could sell that type of information to, it would be almost no one aside from vendors. Lets say HP wants to release a new laptop, they might ask Microsoft, "hey, what's the average CPU in use, or GPU that this group of users has?" That could help them design a new laptop to sell which can increase adoption rates for newer hardware.

If you want to stick with Win7, by all means go ahead, I don't blame you, at times I miss Win7, and I still use it on the majority of my network machines and still have some client networks that are all still on Win7 with a serious Win10 upgrade delayed, but planned. But as I said earlier, the average user on Vista isn't a techie anymore, it's someone that knows next to NOTHING about computers, and will probably have to buy a whole new machine with Win10 loaded. Why upgrade from Vista to Win7 for that user when Win7 is going to be EOL in a few more years? The logical step is going to Win10.

Last edited:
Further on the data collection - I HATE it, but I LOVE it. Lets say there are 200,000 motherboards all with the same chipset and drivers in computers out there. If microsoft releases a patch that breaks with that particular motherboard, they have 200,000 machines most likely reporting back, "hey, this patch broke on machine ID XYX, here is my detailed information for the machine not including the username or who it REALLY is using this machine". At this point, Microsoft can fix the patch in a way that works for that machine, or has a workaround created so it works. If a smaller subset of those machines have something different on them, that patch-fix could actually make things WORSE because they may not have reported hardware or driver information back to Microsoft.

Do I hate it? Yes, I do, because this information can be farmed and sold to companies for money. Do I love it? Yes, I do, because it can lead to a much more stable system in the long term.

I tried telling y'all this when Win10 first released and I got ganged up on and everybody just kept yelling "MUH ANONYMOUS DATA!"...lol.

Oh, it's a bit more chatty than that, I still dislike it as there is information that I consider personally identifiable that they collect, such as the IP address, that can personally ID someone. But, no reason to get upset over that seeing as that is the basics of how things communicate is by IP. I do wish however, that they cut down on HOW chatty it is with M$.

Oh, it's a bit more chatty than that, I still dislike it as there is information that I consider personally identifiable that they collect, such as the IP address, that can personally ID someone. But, no reason to get upset over that seeing as that is the basics of how things communicate is by IP. I do wish however, that they cut down on HOW chatty it is with M$.
IP, ISP, email addresses, your real name, contacts, most words you even type on certain apps (possibly passwords and usernames), voice, photos, geo location, hardware specs, browser history, computer habits, alot of unique IDs of your machine..

Facebook, twitter, whatever else you can think it!!!

Its bad... real bad...

Lol I just dont get it, why do u guys care so much about your data being collected. So they got my ID, know where I live, know what I like, bank details, etc but so what?! Yeah so if the company gets hacked then its quite crazy bad but IMO I can't really visualise google or m$ getting hacked. What's the worst a company can do, really. Seriously the worst I can imagine is that they start selling it to other companies for advertising - which is kinda a benefit as we will be getting relevant ads - not mentioning that this obviously already happens. The only other reason I can guess for hiding your data is if you have something dodgy to hide :p

Lol I just dont get it, why do u guys care so much about your data being collected. So they got my ID, know where I live, know what I like, bank details, etc but so what?! Yeah so if the company gets hacked then its quite crazy bad but IMO I can't really visualise google or m$ getting hacked. What's the worst a company can do, really. Seriously the worst I can imagine is that they start selling it to other companies for advertising - which is kinda a benefit as we will be getting relevant ads - not mentioning that this obviously already happens. The only other reason I can guess for hiding your data is if you have something dodgy to hide :p

Some of us just value our privacy along with our RIGHT to privacy. Personally, I don't care about it as much, BUT... the companies absolutely should be held liable for their collection habits and be forced to make a very simple interface where a person can EASILY choose whether to share their data anonymously or not. The average user isn't going to understand how to turn most of that off in Win10.

Back
Top Bottom