Vista and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devon8822

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am not as knowledgeable and into the computer scene as many of you hear, so I would like the heads up on Vista?

From what I know now... it appears people are rejecting vista and sticking with XP... right? I still have XP because of what i have heard about the quality of Vista.

What are all the comp pros and gamers doing here? vista or xp?

I have also heard that soon... games will only be playable with vista and also xp is soon going to be un-supported.

Since, I am getting a new PC quite soon it is imperative that I know whats going on operating system-wise, in the world of computers.

Thanks!

Well, they only sell Vista as of about 2 weeks ago. XP is only available on extremely low-end computers, if at all. So unless you can track down an old XP disc, your screwd. I've had vista for about a week now, its not that bad. It has a few improvements... Emphasis on few. I haven't ran into to many incompatibility problems (I were expecting because the programs were very old). As for gaming and such, the games now run on both but I wouldn't be surprised if they only ran on vista in a few years. I have a brand new vista computer and it runs games quite well. So now its whether you want Vista 32 or 64 bit.

If you already have xp, stick with it. Everything I have runs better on xp than vista. The only reason most gamers got vista was for dx10, and that's been released for xp now, so really there's no need/reason to switch (unless you want to blow some cash)

bottom line, no. don't get vista. Wait for microsoft's next os release, server 08?

S0UL...that's a load of crap, honestly... Vista runs just as good as XP. My laptop that runs Vista runs perfect, and everything is compatible. And DX10 has NOT came out of XP. The DX10 hack doesn't even work that well.

Server '08 has already been released, and is very similar to Vista. M$'s upcoming Windows release is Windows 7, which is supposed to come out in 2009. XP will be supported (not sold) until 2014. It's going to be stopped being sold fairly soon, however.

But the real question is, is it worth it to get Vista 64bit over 32bit XP?

Does the extra 2GB of ram really help? (Seeing as no one uses 64bit XP because its not compatible with anything).

So if a gamer wanted true gaming, or a video editor wanted the best out of his video editing, would he go for windows xp 32bit and stick with 2gb of good ram?

Or would he go with 64bit Vista and get 4gb of good ram?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/what-do-you-think-179307/
Makaveli213

You want some real info read those. It is a lie just like the cake is. Yes that is a reference to the game Portal as well.

Server 08 has been out since July of last year Soul. I have put up a review of it back then as well.It is all lies. Vista does not run that much slower than XP if at all. I can run everything on Vist that i can on XP. I can even run it on Server 08.

Sorry but nothing but flase statements and people fears of updating.

I just recently converted to Vista 64.

If your really into gaming, then I would say stick with XP unless you have a good gaming computer. I have 2GB RAM but BF2 is still does not run as smooth as on XP. I'm going up upgrade to 4GB RAM which should make gameplay smoother.

Other than that, it is great.. no compatibility problems and I don't regret the switch.

Server '08 has already been released, and is very similar to Vista. M$'s upcoming Windows release is Windows 7

thought I'd got something wrong there, tis why I put the ? at the end :) cheers

I'm not saying vista won't run anything, I'm saying xp runs better. Honestly, in terms of considering whether to buy vista to IMPROVE your system, you wouldn't. It's just every benchmark I've done on similar systems running xp or vista, guess which came out better :)
Again, I'm not totally trashing vista, I'm just saying there isn't any reason to get it if you already have xp.

Everywhere I go i see the same thing - Is Vista or XP Better.
You guys probably remember that in 2001, it was the same with 98 and XP!
The main problem here is, that Vista came out wayy earlier than it should have, and created a bad image for itself because of the high system requirements.

Face it, the industry moves forward, software moves forward. We're going to have to move to Vista sooner or later.

Btw, yes, i have tried vista and i have worked 7 years with XP.

XP does my work better, because i know every bit of it. Im not saying that Vista is bad.

Hello Soul,

Again i have to disagree. I run Server 08 and MCE. Server 08 performs jsut as good if not better with several tasks. It all depends on your system and what you do with it.

Gaming you get maybe 1 FPS less. I have not sen any game give me more than 3FPS drop.

There are plenty of reason to switch. The networking stack is all redone. Vista is far more secure with UAC than XP is. People think UAC is bother some. Well when it prevents all drive by downlaods and installs of malware and other viruses you would reconsider that thought.

You personally dont see a reason. But i just named a reallky big one why you should switch. I refise to keep going on with the reasons why Vista is just fine to run.

It is everyone's personal preference. You may not like it and think XP performs better. That is fine for you. But please do not turn people away from Vista as they might like it better. They may prefer to have the security and the Child settings that are not available in XP. Let them decide.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom