Vista Or XP - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Vista Or XP

i actually do know how to install a new OS......... i am a computer technician its just lately i have been running across stuff that i have never ran accrosss before like.. FIREFOX FREEZING UP AGAIN!!...

Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggVeyron View Post
Magic Jellybean will also show you your serial number installed.

Just use Google

Umm i have vista installed right now. and i wanna go from vista to xp. Magic Jellybean is just gonna show me my vista cd key.. which is NOT what i want..

Im gonna try GParted thats if i can find my cd key or ill just stick with Vista.. untill i get a cd and a cd key. Vista isnt given me ALOT of problems just a few..

i am doing a big scan with ESET. and i see in the log file as it is scanning that there is a few problems..

when it started scanning it said

C:\pagefile.sys - error opening
C:\Boot\BCD - error opening
C:\Boot\BCD.LOG - error opening

any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggVeyron View Post
I don't see it as touchy. But i agree with Mak that you post didn't really help resolve the issue did it apart from a useless flame against Vista...
That's pretty presumptuous of you, assuming that flaming Vista is useless. It's freaking OS bloatware. W2k Advanced Server handles 4 gig of memory better, and MS should be ashamed to put Vista on the market before they can make make it perform at least as well as that OS they put out 8 years ago. Yeah, it looks pretty, but aside from that, MS really dropped the ball on it, and they're screwing people out of hundreds of dollars each for a new OS they don't need, and that doesn't work well.

So excuse me if I make an occasional backhanded dig at it.

Anyway, on to the original question of the thread, when you get that kind of error when you're trying to install an OS, 9 times out of 10, it means your media is bad - is the disc scratched? Try with a different copy of XP and see if it's just a bad disc.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

-- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
That's pretty presumptuous of you, assuming that flaming Vista is useless. It's freaking OS bloatware. W2k Advanced Server handles 4 gig of memory better, and MS should be ashamed to put Vista on the market before they can make make it perform at least as well as that OS they put out 8 years ago. Yeah, it looks pretty, but aside from that, MS really dropped the ball on it, and they're screwing people out of hundreds of dollars each for a new OS they don't need, and that doesn't work well.

So excuse me if I make an occasional backhanded dig at it.

Anyway, on to the original question of the thread, when you get that kind of error when you're trying to install an OS, 9 times out of 10, it means your media is bad - is the disc scratched? Try with a different copy of XP and see if it's just a bad disc.

I understand..

If i EVER choose to do a fresh start. I am gonna install XP!...

not because Vista SUCKS.. Because its just not doing good for me..

Well to be honest it proly isnt even Vista.. Maybe i downloaded something that messed up my freifox. It sounds like i am blaming it on vista which i was but to be honest.. It has NOTHING To do with the OS...

any thoughts about the following..

and what about doing a fresh install of Vista Basic?????? i can download it from somewhere.. and use the cd key i already have... thats an option.. if i have an empty disc.. in checking now

Is their a place where i can download Vista Basic??
Old 03-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

just dl it from a torrent. it's not illegal to download a torrent for a cd if you use your own key.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
just dl it from a torrent. it's not illegal to download a torrent for a cd if you use your own key.
well i am going through all of my cd's and checking to see of their are some empty ones...
Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

just go out and buy some blank dvd's.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
just go out and buy some blank dvd's.
Can't do that right now..i live on the mountain. its a 4 hour walk to any store the only store that is close by a gas station and they dont sell cd's their lol.... and my car.. well thats at the garage.. Cause of yesterdays accident i got into..

Bad snow storm....

Wasnt a nice day..
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxexpertxXx View Post
Only thought is "what are you trying to open them with? And why?"

Pagefile.sys is your virtual memory file, so you won't be able to open while the OS is running. Dunno about the BCD and BCD.log, but I image they're locked and in use too.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

-- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
Only thought is "what are you trying to open them with? And why?"

Pagefile.sys is your virtual memory file, so you won't be able to open while the OS is running. Dunno about the BCD and BCD.log, but I image they're locked and in use too.
Nod32 is trying to open them to scan them. Those appear in my Nod32 logs as well, so its nothing to worry about. It can't scan then because they're locked, and/or in use. That would be my thought, since he's stated he has Eset Security bundle.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread