Vista -> XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't pay anything for this Vista key, it came with the laptop. It's Home Premium and I hate it because it takes too much system resources. It's got a bunch of useless crap that I will never use, so why let it bog down my crappy X2 tk-53 processor with 1gb of ram? I can't upgrade this because it's a notebook and both memory slots are taken.

I hear ye'...1GB of RAM with Vista is unusable. I disabled everything - all animations, lowered the res, disabled aereo nonsense etc...but it made no difference.

Then I bought a pair of gigs from Newegg... 2* 1GB, ended up costing $70 shipped. Now it works great... so if you can, just toss the 2x 512's and get 2GB - it's WAY worth it.

hmm, I've never heard of direct x 10 before... what is this? amazing next-gen graphics that trump the PS3 and 360? woah? what is this?

woah... aero effects in vista? whats that... the sexy train? oh em gee its the sexy train

I see your problem, but theres no need to bash vista just because you can't run it...

Aero effect is the most useless feature of vista. They brag about it like they found a cure for cancer, yet it's lot faster to use alt+tab or just click the taskbar. If i want to waste my time, I could just go take a nap.

And if you think direct x 10 trumps PS3 and X360, it's either that you have an 8800GTX (which explains everything) or you don't know what you're talking about. For a laptop with integrated graphics, i can use direct x 10 to wipe my @$$.

I had vista on my rig and my new laptop came with it. i absolutely hated it. I can tweak XP to use about 80 megs of ram, vista uses 600 megs. Sorry M$ but that memory is reserved for things like music, games and applications. Learn how to write better code.

I second zmatt !

If windows isn't eating up your RAM then you have more for music, games, and apps. That way your system will not have to resort to virtual memory which is hella slow. I don't know how it can be clearer than that.

Aero effect is the most useless feature of vista. They brag about it like they found a cure for cancer, yet it's lot faster to use alt+tab or just click the taskbar. If i want to waste my time, I could just go take a nap.

And if you think direct x 10 trumps PS3 and X360, it's either that you have an 8800GTX (which explains everything) or you don't know what you're talking about. For a laptop with integrated graphics, i can use direct x 10 to wipe my @$$.

dx9 trumps a ps3 or a 360 lol games consoles are about 5 years behind pc's in terms of physical tech. The pc also has 102 keys that are programmable opposed to the consoles 12

If windows isn't eating up your RAM then you have more for music, games, and apps. That way your system will not have to resort to virtual memory which is hella slow. I don't know how it can be clearer than that.

ehh? And what do you suppose windows is filling up your RAM with? Just useless, random crap :rolleyes:

i like vista i dont care tht my comp takes 1min to get to the welcome screen, vista does way way more than XP, you cant expect it to be fast when it does way more stuff

I didn't pay anything for this Vista key, it came with the laptop. It's Home Premium and I hate it because it takes too much system resources. It's got a bunch of useless crap that I will never use, so why let it bog down my crappy X2 tk-53 processor with 1gb of ram? I can't upgrade this because it's a notebook and both memory slots are taken.

I completely agree with you, 100%. If XP works well for you, and it surely uses less resources, install XP instead. A few weeks ago when Best Buy had some major laptop blowout sale, I was there playing with all the laptops. They all had Vista on them. I hated the look and feel of it.. it definitely gave me the impression of bloatware. Yeah, a few nice GUI enhancements and more info for things like My Computer->Properties. But, who really gives a crap.

It's like anything else.. they come out with something new, and if you are forced to use it then you will adopt it after a while. But Vista certainly doesn't conjure up feelings of "I need to get this baby ASAP", nor do I believe it conjures those feelings to the majority of users or IT departments out there.

I'll stay with XP for as long as I can. I will switch my workstation to Linux before I will *buy* Vista.

I completely agree with you, 100%. If XP works well for you, and it surely uses less resources, install XP instead. A few weeks ago when Best Buy had some major laptop blowout sale, I was there playing with all the laptops. They all had Vista on them. I hated the look and feel of it.. it definitely gave me the impression of bloatware. Yeah, a few nice GUI enhancements and more info for things like My Computer->Properties. But, who really gives a crap.

It's like anything else.. they come out with something new, and if you are forced to use it then you will adopt it after a while. But Vista certainly doesn't conjure up feelings of "I need to get this baby ASAP", nor do I believe it conjures those feelings to the majority of users or IT departments out there.

I'll stay with XP for as long as I can. I will switch my workstation to Linux before I will *buy* Vista.

True.
I've met a lot of very computer illiterate people in the past year who think Vista is the greatest thing since slice bread. They believe that XP is old as in win98 kind of old. So they want to try vista. I get comments of "I can't wait to buy a new computer with Vista...it looks so cool"!
Anyway, we computer literate individuals know the facts...that Vista WILL NOT CHANGE OR MAKE YOUR COMPUTER EXPERIENCE ANY BETTER.
Xp does everything Vista can do. 9/10 Xp does it better.
So for the one who started the thread....go ahead and upgrade to XP. Vista isn't ready for prime time.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom