vista x64 OS with 4 gigs of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester

Beta member
I am building my dads computer from ground up and i'm having an issue with ram, its a gygabyte board with socket 775 intel or whatever, running q6600 quad core 2.4 ghz, with bfg 8800 gts vid card and wd 300 gig hard drive, and 4 gigs of corsair ram (1 gb sticks). I loaded vista 64 bit with sp1 and that is sup[posed to run the 4 gigs fine, but when i put 4 gigs in, as soon as the log on screen comes up it begins a physical memory dump and then restarts itself, and then just goes through the same cycle over and over. 3 gigs works fine but that 4th gig messes with it. any ideas on why it is doing this?

thanks in advance

Bad stick of ram - see if you get the same result with any combination of three sticks. Could be a bad stick or a bad slot.

Hello,

Check your timings. They may be to high or to low. Which could be causing the crashes. Also what is the BSOD error code you get? With that we could help out much more.

Cheers,
Mak

guys its been soo long since i've messed with with building a computer all this new stuff is confusing to me...lol...but i got it it was a bad stick of ram...so thanks for the help, really apprecciate it...i had spent 4 hours trying to figure out why it was doing that thinking it was a software issue, the thought never even occured to me that it was hardware...and if yall would please, what does BSOD stand for?

Blue Screen of Death :)

Usually if you can't get past the POST screen (where it detects your ram, hard drives, the system pretty much makes sure that all of the needed hardware is available and working) then it is a hardware issue. Doesn't necessarily mean that something is broken. Could be a configuration issue, or a bad piece of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom