Vista and WMP11 - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood
Default Re: Vista and WMP11

i really like wmp tho, i just hope there is a way to fix it. im thinking of uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. will write back if it works

Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

You can't uninstall WMP 11 in Vista like you could in older versions with the add/remove Windows components section under add/remove programs. I would love to see WMP 10 go on but MS now wants you to buy a 3rd party software rather then seeing the visualization screen savers, codecs, etc. in the new player.

Besides using a little more memory being a newer larger version seen with Vista many trying 11 on XP ask how to see it removed later. You would most likely have to simply use the system restore process to go back as far as you can to see it corrected or perform a repair install after registry edits followed by manually removing files and it's main folder.

The other option of course is simply locating another media player more suitable and actually works whether freeware or retail.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

well now wow effects work, and so does the video playback. I had to completely reinstall vista, but it was worth it. none of the preinstalled gateway crap.
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

You actually have video playback in 11 after reinstalling Vista? On several attempts here I simply had to go with Media Center Classic or another player altogether. With 11 you can hear the audio but no video and of course XP was the last to see visualizations running like a screen saver in WMP 10! not 11 there either.

ITunes, VLC both see that. MPC for dvds, video files, and even audio there again without the visuals however. Eventually I will get the Vista ready version of Cyberlink's PowerDVD while sticking with the free ones at present.

Closed Thread