Vista Wireless Network Software Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryantos

Beta member
I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop. I'm only running a gig of RAM, but thats plenty for just browsing the internet and typing up reports, etc. It's my laptop I use for school.

The problem I'm having is with the built in wireless management program in Vista. After Vista is done booting, I right click the network icon in the taskbar to bring up the menu. From the menu is the "Connect to a network" selection that allows me to choose from the networks that are detected. However, when I right click on the network icon, it does not come up right away. It takes forever just to load the menu. Most of the time I have to click several times just for the menu to come up. After it is up, I can not select any items from the menu for about, literally, 5 minutes. After I click onto "Connect to a network" once, I have to right click the icon to bring up the menu and select it again, and sometimes the menu will not go away. It will sit in the corner of the screen until I turn the laptop off. It doesn't take another 5 minutes for me to select an item from the menu, however it takes another 5 minutes just for the window to load that allows me to connect to a network. It just sits there, blank white except for the title bar, and if I move my mouse over it the loading mouse icon appears. By the way, I wish I was lying about them taking 5 minutes, but those are literally the load times for each step.

I'm using a Sony VAIO VGN-NR110E. I tried to get the latest drivers for my network adapter, but when I try to download the drivers for my model, the installer says that they are the wrong drivers for my notebook, which they have to be. When I search for drivers, if asks for my model number at the Sony site, and I enter it in exactly. It then directs me to the drivers for my notebook on the site.

Any help? I went to Microsoft for support, but they want $60 just to send an email. Ridiculous.

Thanks for any help, guys.

To me it sounds as if you PC isnt finish booting when you start to right click on the icon. Just cause you see your wallpaper and the desktop does not mean that all your back ground applications are done loading. That is why it is takin upwards of 5 minutes for it to respond.

Are you sure that you wait to click the icon till everything is done loading?

Yes, Vista is completely loaded before I attempt to do anything. Everything else will load fine unless it has to do with networking. The window to show all networks even takes awhile to load, and there isn't even any networks listed! Every other item/icon in the task will work fine.

I would not be able to post this right now if I didn't have my home network on auto-connect. I can't even get the menu on right click to come up right now, and the notebook has been on for about 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom