Vista wait could be a long one, says Gartner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NayNay1991x

PeugeotEnthusiast
The wait for Microsoft's delayed Windows Vista could be even longer than expected, according to a research report issued this week.

In March, Microsoft announced that widespread distribution of Windows Vista would be delayed until early 2007. Now, research company Gartner Group has reported that the operating system might not be fully available until at least the second quarter of next year.

Gartner said: "Microsoft's track record is clear. It consistently misses target dates for major operating system releases. We don't expect broad availability of Windows Vista until at least 2Q07 [second quarter of 2007], which is nine to 12 months after Beta 2."

Microsoft, however, maintains that everything is on schedule, in line with its March announcement.

A Microsoft spokesman told silicon.com sister site CNET News: "We respectfully disagree with Gartner's views around timing of the final delivery of Windows Vista. We remain on track to deliver Windows Vista Beta 2 in the second quarter and to deliver the final product to volume-licence customers in November 2006 and to other businesses and consumers in January 2007."

Gartner said it believes that as a result of modifications Microsoft made in 2004 to the modular structure of Windows, the software company will need more time for "shims", or tweaks made to reported problems. This process takes place reactively as users try out the Beta 2 release of the operating system.

The upgrade from Windows XP to Vista will be as complex as the Windows 2000 release was, according to Gartner. Windows 2000 took 16 months to reach manufacturing from its Beta 2 stage. The change to Windows XP from Windows 2000 only took five months from Beta 2 but it was "a relatively minor release", said the Gartner report.

Microsoft's news that the new platform would not be ready in time for Christmas caused winces throughout the industry, which was already expecting a slight decline in growth for the holiday season.

Gartner had previously advised some companies to hold off on the upgrade until 2008, since third-party products already supply many of the security upgrades incorporated into the new Windows platform.

Personally, I don't think this will be any realy problem for MS or the deployment of the software. MS doesn't need any boom for Christmas, and by coming after, they will get extended growth throught the year, not just at one time. Their big money is in the VLP program anyway, so the retail version isn't that much. They will make their timelines and still make a killing on it. If the PC makers are waiting for it, then that is there problem. They should have more forsight than that, and be looking for ways to leverage their hardware, not the software that it runs on.

NvidiaDude said:
The wait for Microsoft's delayed Windows Vista could be even longer than expected, according to a research report issued this week.
Gartner isn't anything I would bet money on, btw. Their reviews are sponsored.

Either way, it's nice of them (and you) to give us a report on something that MS reported over two months ago.

Seria said:
What is vista anyways?
....:rolleyes:
Windows Vista

Inaris said:
If you remember the difference between Windows 3.1 and windows 95, think about it like that, for XP to Vista. It's a whole new OS that is a lot different in a lot of ways, but kind of the same...

hhmmmmm, to be honest. that kind of scares me. not because its new, but because every time microsoft makes an update for something or a "more advanced" operating system, our right's, privileges, abilities and freedoms get taken away.

and thanks ShoobieRat, but I know how to google. I just wanted short and informative input about it without reading 700-page reviews(found on google).

The day i believe this is the day i believe everything Paul Thurott says. They are both full of junk. Once in a while they have some good info but 9 times out of 10 they are just saying this stuff to get news out and to be read.

Originally posted by Seria
hhmmmmm, to be honest. that kind of scares me. not because its new, but because every time microsoft makes an update for something or a "more advanced" operating system, our right's, privileges, abilities and freedoms get taken away.

as to that, are you saying the ability to steal an OS? The only "freedom" that MS has taken away is the ability to install their software on anythingin you want without paying for it. Not that I'm a fan of it, it's just the way it is. Vista will be no different. Although, from what I have seen, they (MS) understand that it will get stollen, and so have decided to just turn off certain things when it's found that, that is the case.

In truth, Vista is going to be a good OS based on the reveiws that I have seen from within the BETA program, but it's not like it's going to be everywhere tomorrow. There is a pretty good effort on MS to make a decent product that is focused on all of the concerns that everyone has had. It's secure(more so than ever), it's visually stimulating, it's powerful, and it should be fast (Given the right hardware).

I'm still not switching from Win2K anytime soon, but I'm thinking this is a good thing for MS, or atleast a step in the right direction.

Problem is that everyone will still complain about something, so what the point... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom